Manual Gearbox Issues

karlous54

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Karl
Drive
2000 Vr4 Manuel
Well just had the clutch replaced in my 2000 vr4 sedan and now it seems that it has done a drive shaft bearing in the gearbox. :mad: ( GUTTED )
So im goin to bite the bullet and get the gearbox reconditioned along with some other servicing like the cambelt and stuff as the car has done 83,000km now

My question to you guys is what else should i be getting done ?
Ive heard that the oil pump might be a good idea while things are all out?

Let me know what you think, cheers

G

Unregistered
I recomend the thermostat and get a 78deg one to come in earlier.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Those bearings do that unfortunately. I don't think there is any need to get the rest of the box reconditioned though, they are virtually bullet proof.

If you're doing the cambelt then make sure you do the water pump as well.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
What's the telltale sign that indicates the bearings are on their way out/gone?

karlous54

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Karl
Drive
2000 Vr4 Manuel
The mechanic recommended getting the whole gear box reconditioned but that prob has a failry big price tag to go along with it! Anyone have any ideas on pricing >?<

There is a constant whirring noise that gets more high pitched the faster you go, even when coasting in neutral it still makes this noise.
Apart from that the gear box is fine! all gears are sweet.

Just a thought could this be the front diff by any chance ?
cheers

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
The mechanic recommended getting the whole gear box reconditioned but that prob has a failry big price tag to go along with it! Anyone have any ideas on pricing >?<

There is a constant whirring noise that gets more high pitched the faster you go, even when coasting in neutral it still makes this noise.
Apart from that the gear box is fine! all gears are sweet.

Just a thought could this be the front diff by any chance ?
cheers

If it coming from the front could be transfer case? have you changed that fluid yet? naughtika and me did ours a few months ago oil was black as black...

karlous54

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Karl
Drive
2000 Vr4 Manuel
Um was all changed about 15k ago. But this has only just happened after the clutch was replaced and the mechanic ended up taking alot of stuff out including the transfer case

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
where abouts are you hearing the high pitched noise? front or rear or mid section..

also have you tried doing some test, like on a downhill leave the gear in neutral as you get faster, see if the noise is still there.. and if on a flat surface let the car roll.. listen carefully if where the sound is coming from...

just a note.. not trying to imply that your mechanic's wrong or anything, just trying to help you find out where the 'real' problem is.. this way, it might save you heaps of money on unnecessary work.. also I'm pretty sure your mechanic do know what he's on about..

goodluck..

anthony

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
tony
Drive
Rare Manual Legnum VR-4
the noise could also be just a wheel bearing

karlous54

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Karl
Drive
2000 Vr4 Manuel
hey ya nah thats fine, thanks for the help. In all those situtations the noise is still there, when in gear and just rolling in neutral.The sound is coming from the front of the car, pretty much just in front of the driver.

I originally thought that it was a wheel bearing as the gear box was running normal!

My next question is do i just get the bearing redone or do i get the whole box reconditioned ? as i have driven another manual LEGNUM and mine didnt seem as smooth, more clunky but still precise when changing gears

Cheers

karlous54

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Karl
Drive
2000 Vr4 Manuel
well i have finally found the problem, it was the transfer case that blew when i put my foot down yesterday!

Guess its better than a gear box huh

karlous54

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Karl
Drive
2000 Vr4 Manuel
um not exactly sure what was put in there, is the transfer case oil the same as the gear box oil ?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Close, for the gearbox you want 75w85 or 75w90 GL4, and for the transfer case you need 80w90 GL5

karlous54

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Karl
Drive
2000 Vr4 Manuel
cheers, will make sure the rite stuff is in there, mechanic is fairly on to it ah! but will be having a big service while its in there. Will a better grade oil make much difference with shifting quality ?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
you NEED GL4 for the gearbox, and you NEED GL5 for the transfer case. I doubt that 5 oil ratings either way (ie 85 instead of 90) will really make a difference.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Amsoil 75W90 Severe Gear is what I've got in the transfer case, and 75W90 GL4 is in the gearbox. If you put GL5 in your gearbox you'll get too much slip, and if you put GL4 in the transfer case you'll wear the drive-line gears out. So don't mess them up!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
GL5 will cause the synchro's to slip more than they are designed to, making it difficult to get in and out of gear, especially when cold. I don't know if it causes any long term damage though.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I can't confirm damage from GL5 in the gearbox one way or the other either, but I suspect slipping synchros isn't good for it, especially if it means by the time the gears grab you're at a higher RPM...

Top Bottom