Mods for Fuel Economy ?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
That depends entirely on the design of the roof racks. That statement reminds me of a current radio ad playing here:

Research shows that your problem gambling can affect up to 7 people.

What a pile of crap! If you are a loner then it will just affect you, or perhaps you might be married but have no other family. Or what if you own a business with 50 people in it and it goes bust because you were gambling all the money away.

Just like the statement above! If you have a 4 foot by 6 foot sheet of ply wood aiming straight up out of the roof then I'm sure that could affect the fuel economy quite drastically if you're driving at 110kmh everywhere, but would barely affect it at all if you were driving around the city. The stock VR-4 roof racks are tiny and fairly aerodynamic, I doubt that they would make more than a 2% difference at the maximum!

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Yes the roofracks aren't worth the effort to remove.

Bradc, your statement with gambling is spot on. I hate the people who rile on against the club industry because of the pokies. As someone who spends a LOT of my time in them because of my job, the people are not FORCED to play them at all. If you wish to go blow your wage through them, that's your own damned fault, no one else's ! :angry:

I'm addicted to blowing money on computer equipment & games. Is the government going to help me with handouts & personal helpline I can call????

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Go for it! Your comments may just last a while, I'm about to go to sleep! I wasn't pointing out anything in particular about gambling, I don't really care about it in the slightest, my point was that the original post about roof racks causing a percentage drop in fuel economy was vague and meaningless.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I wasn't pointing out anything in particular about gambling, I don't really care about it in the slightest, my point was that the original post about roof racks causing a percentage drop in fuel economy was vague and meaningless.

Haha yeah dude I picked up on that. :D

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Remove doors, bonnet, turbo, roof, exhaust...and replace with a Suzuki Swift

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
I think one of the best ways to get better fuel economy is to replace the ECU with a good aftermarket one so the whole engine and fuel system can be re-tuned.

I didn't say it was the cheapest though.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I'm guessing the fuel savings will want to be significant for the obvious outlay that's going to be involved.

Hehe I no longer need this thread as I no longer use a Legnum as my work car.

...... I do miss the Grandpa though. :love:

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Yes, but "Grandpa" was the best known example of high mileage on a VR-4 to Aussie conditions and it held up very well :)

Top Bottom