Mods for Fuel Economy ?

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
you lie like a pig in straw bradc!!! just over 8 l/100????

hmmm i spose if it was 100 all the way, right tyre pressure, very careful driving, it could be possible but jeez it would be tip toeing around. My best in 2 year has been 9.19/100 (averaged over 430 km tank) and that was incredibly painful driving.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Yea 90km/hr in 5th in a manual is about the best RPM range economy-wise. Conversely I tend to drive at 110ish a lot, which ain't so great for my economy... But then, if I cared I'd change it ;)

hi dont no if anyone has said about nitrogen instead of air in your tyres. and the good old fashioned way dont drive short journeys, bus it
You really are wasting your time with this - you're far better off ensuring that the compressor you use to fill your tires contains a good water trap, by far the most variation in tire pressure is caused by water in the tires boiling, thus causing expansion. The difference between clean, dry air (which is 78% nitrogen already) and pure nitrogen on tire pressure during normal driving is statistically insignificant - if you're doing 300km/h, different story. If you fill with pure Nitrogen it will want to equalise with the surrounding air anyway, so unless you're regularly draining your tires and refilling with pure Nitrogen, they probably contain close to normal air anyway.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
cyber. i really wanna know what do you do for work. you explain things really well and long.. are you in en education buzines?

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
cyber. i really wanna know what do you do for work. you explain things really well and long.. are you in en education buzines?

Thanks Jono.

I work as a corporate / commercial lawyer, which as you can imagine, results in lots of rambling - hence the long explanations ;)

Funnily enough, at high school, I dreamed of being a teacher!

markfivestar

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark Beckett
Drive
1997 COTY Legnum
No offence to the OP, but the safety features he keeps mentioning are really only of benefit if you drive in a manner that is not conducive to ecomic use of fuel...

just my 2 cents..

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
No offence to the OP, but the safety features he keeps mentioning are really only of benefit if you drive in a manner that is not conducive to ecomic use of fuel...

just my 2 cents..

I am the OP, & having 4WD, AYC, TCL is really handy when you're travelling at 110km/h on the freeway with a car fully laden with work equipment while driving through a thunderstorm.

You don't need to rip through a corner or chicane or get on a racetrack to appreciate those systems let me tell you....

Scubasteve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
96 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
Get my missus to drive it, my boost gauge never leaves Vacume. After a week of her driving it i woke one night to sounds coming from under my bonnet. Turned out the turbo's were unbolting themselves muttering WTF does she need us for!.

Ok maybe not but yeah she's petrafied of BOOST yet she'll ride a 450cc cruch rocket ftw?$#@

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
Bradc i have already beaten that i got 7.4l/100 on my way home from orange a few times back, i was driving really carefully doing about 100 or just under and i had e10 in it made sure my revs never went that hight stayed around or under 2500rpm, i couldnt beleive it when i did it. i normally cant stand to behave that much thou so i havnt done it again since.

Scubasteve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
Bradc i have already beaten that i got 7.4l/100 on my way home from orange a few times back, i was driving really carefully doing about 100 or just under and i had e10 in it made sure my revs never went that hight stayed around or under 2500rpm, i couldnt beleive it when i did it. i normally cant stand to behave that much thou so i havnt done it again since.

Can we run E10 ? All i read is 98 octane, all other vehicles in cluding my mower run longer and better on E10 but didn't wanna risk it on my first turbo car. Wouldn't the Ethanol cool the engine?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
You can do anything if you are silly enough. Why risk engine damage to save a couple of L / 100k's.

I do realise that saving fuel is the point of this thread. <3

My zx10r does 8L/100's so I don't experience much fuel economy full stop.

My leg gets about 12.5L/100

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
I just managed to get 60L in the tank (thought they were 55L ??) and got 300K's out of it
That equates to 20L/100Km
(weird part is I did 150Km before the needle moved, then did 50 whilst it dove down to empty and then did another 110Km with the light on??!!

FAAARRRRRKKK!!

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Oh wow, thats bad man lol

What did you do to get that? Disconnect your AFM? haha

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
the E10 i used was a 98 or 110 octane fuel the car loved it, there was no knock or weird sounds from the car and the higher octane gave better cruising speed.

my car has now done over 140,000km's 20,000 since i got it and whenever i can i use an e10 high octane and have never had problems.

how is e10 going to damage a car engine ? often people are using e10 without knowing at nearly every pump they use these days, might as well buy it cheaper and know that its e10 then pay full price and be getting e10 anyway

Scubasteve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
I just managed to get 60L in the tank (thought they were 55L ??) and got 300K's out of it
That equates to 20L/100Km
(weird part is I did 150Km before the needle moved, then did 50 whilst it dove down to empty and then did another 110Km with the light on??!!

FAAARRRRRKKK!!
lol Alex sounds like u r screwed. Check the boot maybe theres some fuel splashing round in there lmao.

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
It's not funny ya bastards!
But seriously though, it would not surprise me if the AFM was not even there!
I have a brand new O2 sensor and major service just done so ... WTF????!!!
ah well, what you gonna do.
The positive (and equally vexing) part is that I get EXACTLY the same fuel economy if I drive the entire time at over 4500 rpm so at least its fun.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
the E10 i used was a 98 or 110 octane fuel the car loved it, there was no knock or weird sounds from the car and the higher octane gave better cruising speed.

my car has now done over 140,000km's 20,000 since i got it and whenever i can i use an e10 high octane and have never had problems.

how is e10 going to damage a car engine ? often people are using e10 without knowing at nearly every pump they use these days, might as well buy it cheaper and know that its e10 then pay full price and be getting e10 anyway

I have read that using certain ethanol blends can damage the car's fuel system and components, largely through increased risk of corrosion and damage to components, especially if they're made of rubber (think fuel lines, fuel filters etc).

Some car manufacturers will honour warranties provided that the blend used is no more than 10% ethanol. Other manufacturers do not recommend using any ethanol blends at all.

In Brazil, millions of cars run on ethanol fuel but these cars have been modified with stainless steel components to counter the corrosive effects of ethanol.

To see whether a particular car is ethanol compatible, check the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries website here:

www.fcai.com.au/ethanol

For me personally, I wouldn't use it. Given that even low levels of ethanol can strip paint, I'd rather not have something like that running through the rubber components of my car!

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Yea there are some independant servos that have 98 with 10% ethanol. Also Shell's V-Power Racing is 100octane with 10% ethanol.

I am against ethanol as it takes away much needed farmland that should be used for growing crops for people to eat, NOT for making fuel for cars.

/end rant.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Yea there are some independant servos that have 98 with 10% ethanol. Also Shell's V-Power Racing is 100octane with 10% ethanol.

I am against ethanol as it takes away much needed farmland that should be used for growing crops for people to eat, NOT for making fuel for cars.

Brad.

I don't think Shell sell 100RON V-Power Racing any more. Even if they did, I wouldn't use it. Sure, the ethanol bumps up the octane rating but it still has corrosive properties.

I have to agree with you that aside from the potential car damage caused by ethanol blends, I don't use it in principle because it doesn't help world starvation. It's shocking that people starve whilst we grow corn and sugar cane to turn into fuel. If you're angry at that, just wait until you find out what companies like Monsanto are doing ...

Top Bottom