Mongoose MX40 series II immobiliser - can't access special modes

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
A few months ago the remote for my immobiliser stopped working. I thought it was the remote's battery finally dying (it had been flaky for ages). However a new battery didn't fix it.

The immobiliser was installed before I bought the car and I wasn't given any information about it, so I had to physically find it under the dash and inspect it to identify it.

I thought that the first thing I should try to do is resync the dead remote. The LED glows nice and bright when the buttons are pressed so I can't tell if it's actually broken or if it just unsynced because the old battery died at the wrong moment.

So I downloaded the manual for the MX40 II and have been trying to get it to play ball but it won't seem to go into any of the special modes as advertised. You have to do a special ignition on/off and door open/close sequence for each mode (override mode, learn-new-override-code mode, and sync-remote mode).

I can't seem to get it to behave as the manual describes for ANY of these.

For the sync-remote mode you are supposed to connect the optional siren circuit to a test lamp or multimeter if you haven't got the siren installed. Of course none of the wires are labelled, but there are four unconnected ones and I tried putting it sync-remote mode with each of them hooked up to the multimeter. It is supposed to pulse five times when it enters the sync-remote mode. I got nothing. :(

Does anyone have any experience with the MX40 II or have any advice they can offer me?

I do have a single working remote so I can drive the car but I really don't like having no backup. Because I didn't know about the override (not that I can make it work anyway), when the other remote died I had to get the car towed home.

As a last resort I guess I can call an auto electrician.

Top Bottom