First Name
Ernz
Drive
1997 Galant VR4
hello,

was browsing the J-spec website.

http://www.j-spec.com.au/featured/2001-Mitsubishi-Legnum-16045.html

it says the car is a series three.

can anyone confirm if these actually exist, and what the differences are.

From my understanding

1st series 1996-1998 (pre-facelift)
2nd series 1998-2000 (facelift)
3rd series 2001-2003 (assuming they stopped making these in 2003)

the seats look diff to what i've seen before, i wonder if there are any differences under the bonnet if i were to buy a front cut and swap everything over.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Series 3 VR4s were a last run thing. As a last roll of the dice to eke out what they could from the engine before they put it to bed, they bored & stroked the engine out to 2.9L. Stock boost was ramped up to 16psi with a newer revision of the TD03 turbos with upgraded blades/fans.
Performance was still officially rated at 206kw due to the Gentlemans Agreement, but people say they were pushing 250kw at all 4 wheels by the end.

A very rare car to get your hands on indeed :)

Ernz1981

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ernz
Drive
1997 Galant VR4
Hi Brad,

That's awesome...wonder if i could get a vin number off one of those...and order those OEM turbos as an upgrade.

=D

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
Hey brad have you got any other info on the series 3.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Reel them in Brad, they're hooked

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I've probably already said too much.

They're not something we really should be talking about as they've not covered by SEVS even though externally they look the same.

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Series 3 VR4s were a last run thing. As a last roll of the dice to eke out what they could from the engine before they put it to bed, they bored & stroked the engine out to 2.9L. Stock boost was ramped up to 16psi with a newer revision of the TD03 turbos with upgraded blades/fans.
Performance was still officially rated at 206kw due to the Gentlemans Agreement, but people say they were pushing 250kw at all 4 wheels by the end.

A very rare car to get your hands on indeed :)

What is your source for this information Brad? This is the first time that I've heard of a 2.9L VR-4 and would be interested to know more...

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
I've never seen one but I think these have the improved 4WD running gear - Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All-Terrain.

aaron68nz

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Aaron
Drive
2001 Legnum series 3 manual
Ah, the beauty of modern communication by computer text! Unless you are familiar with the person's communication you sometimes wonder are they being sarcastic or silly or ignorant. And the same for the replies too!

Top Bottom