Motherboard Help!

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Here's a plea to our IT overlords;

My home PC finally gave up after 8 years of work. It appears to be motherboard related.
Problem is, the PC runs a Pentium 3 Tualatin 1.4Ghz CPU on a Gigabyte 6VTXE-A motherboard. This was the best one I could find at the time that still provided me with an ISA slot to run my Soundblaster AWE64.
I also run 2x 3DFX Voodoo 2 cards in SLI mode, with a ATI Radeon 9550 AGP 4x card as the primary video. This setup ran fine for the games it was required for.
The main OS was Win98SE, with WinXP also on there to run the newer games that didn't like 98.
I've tried hunting for that particular motherboard, but am not having much luck :-(
Alternatives are very thin on the ground by what I'm seeing too.

I'm not wanting to have to go to the expense of putting together a brand new PC, as there aren't drivers for Win98SE for the hardware, which makes it pointless. Also money is tight too.

Can anyone throw up any ideas for what I might be able to do? I won't get jackshit if I try to sell the components, so I might as well search for a replacement motherboard to keep it going...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
What do you need win98 for anyway?

Win98 should work with just about any AGP based motherboards, so you could look for a later P4 AGP board?

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
I have a shitload of games that refuse to run in anything over Win98SE. Also, 3DFX Voodoo drivers were only ever officially released for 98. There are custom drivers for XP, but most of the games refuse to run if it as they demand Win98 & Glide support.
I also require ISA support for the soundcard. There's newer boards that have ISA slots, but there's no DMA support & only run in slave mode.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Goin' to need a 24pin ATX power supply for the newer gear though.

Brad, I have a SHITELOAD of P3 gear (working boards, Tualatin 1.3GHz P3's, etc), AMD64 etc.

Let me know what I can send your way if things don't work out ;)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive

I refuse to use them purely because their website is sooooo horrible to look at. Plus I've managed to beat their prices a fair amount.

I know DOSBOX & VM images & Glide wrappers are possiblities, but I have the proper hardware, so I'm hoping it's just the motherboard gone belly up.

Buzz: Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to be in touch if I have flame out!

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Brad - have you seen their new website? it's only a few months old, runs similar to umart etc.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Yep, MSY overhauled their front end but the "PARTS.PDF" is still the same layout of old :)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
OK motherboard is now in my hands! Let's see this weekend if it actually works....

$60 including courier charge from China. Can't really complain about that.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Well the PC is officially declared dead. Got the new motherboard in, but then the videocard stopped outputting. Whacked another one in there, but then Windows keeps corrupting after rebooting. I'm only out $60 but I'm not spending anymore money on it, so it's a goner.....

Anyone for some 3DFX VoodooII accelerator cards??

Top Bottom