My fuel usage woes

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
For those who are interested I've ordered a o2 sensor from Repco (the $29 clearance ones). They still have a couple out there. Mine's coming in from Broken Hill but apparently there are 2 in Whyalla and 1 somewhere in Darwin. That was coming from the mumblings of the Rep at Blair Athol. But regardless he was very helpful and ordered it in for me. So all up it's $29 plus freight.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Yeah if you grab one for me i'll pay you a bit more than what it costs, and postage as well of course.

G

Unregistered
Stuart, if you haven't changed the rear bank ones personally, then assume that they've never been changed, the reason to use the Iridium's is there service life, you'll understand once you've done them yourself, its not qiute as straight forward as a straight 6 plug change, but if I can do it, anyone can do it, its just a PITA, if you do it yourself you know its done.

There is a guide here somewhere, I'll post the link once I've found it. If you get a chance take some pics to go with the guide to post up for members benefit......

Sample of what lays ahead

Kat, from the pic above, I see you've disconnected the throttle body. Did you need to drain any coolant first and how much? Is that the coolant pathway I can see on the top left of the throttle body mating surface?

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
Thought I should post a follow up to all of this - after doing basically everything I could (except spark plugs, although I know the previous owner changed them - he gave me decent proof) I am averaging between 13.5 and 14.5l/100

this is on my normal commute, which is basically templstowe down the eastern freeway then across the cbd to port melbourne nailling it at most lights - I think all in all it's an OK result, I was hoping for better, but I probably can't complain.

I have also done a long freeway trip (wangarratta to bright and around the countryside there with minimal town driving) and got 10.2L/100

so I think that although there probably were things wrong now they must be OK and most of the remainder of my fuel usage is probably my foot and the cbd lights.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Thought I should post a follow up to all of this - after doing basically everything I could (except spark plugs, although I know the previous owner changed them - he gave me decent proof) I am averaging between 13.5 and 14.5l/100

this is on my normal commute, which is basically templstowe down the eastern freeway then across the cbd to port melbourne nailling it at most lights - I think all in all it's an OK result, I was hoping for better, but I probably can't complain.

I have also done a long freeway trip (wangarratta to bright and around the countryside there with minimal town driving) and got 10.2L/100

so I think that although there probably were things wrong now they must be OK and most of the remainder of my fuel usage is probably my foot and the cbd lights.

If you're nailing it at the lights every time, you're basically just paying for fun with fuel... :D

Your economy sounds about right. Drive like a granny for a tank and you should get 12ish in the city.

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
sorry just to clarify is the part number for the NGK 02 sensor NTK OZA116-M8

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
If you're nailing it at the lights every time, you're basically just paying for fun with fuel... :D

Your economy sounds about right. Drive like a granny for a tank and you should get 12ish in the city.

the best granny driving I did when running in my gearbox was 13l/100 but like I said, the cbd is crappy for fuel as you have lights every 50 metres or so and also lost of waiting

G

Unregistered
Yeah Stuart your fuel consumption doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary now. Your servicing work seems to have done the trick.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
Kat, from the pic above, I see you've disconnected the throttle body. Did you need to drain any coolant first and how much? Is that the coolant pathway I can see on the top left of the throttle body mating surface?

no need to drain coolant. from memory i didnt even remove the throttle body, just had a mate peel the plenum back with the throttle body and maybe even the intake piping attatched just enough to get under there and swap them over

G

Unregistered
I did that the first time around. This time the rocker covers are coming off too.

wosbwm

Crunching Gears
First Name
Wayne
Drive
legnum VR4 Type S, Challenger LS, Magna Wagon, Mercedes E Class, XE Fairmont Wagon S-Pac, Renault Megane
I would be interested in one, I don't know heaps about these cars but I am learning fast :) I rang a few Repco stores thinking that they would know what I was talking about and they said there listing only goes up to the 96 Galant the 6a12 engine. Does the series 1 and facelift Legnum & Galant models use the same type of sensor as the 6a12 engines ?. Also they asked me if it was a 4 wire one, I understand what four wires mean but what would they have meant by this. And the prices ranged from $132 - $600 +

Top Bottom