My serious 100K service.

G

Unregistered
Ok guys.
Got my R33 garrett turbos today.
My car has 98K on the clock and its time to do a serious 100K service.
It will comprsie of new plugs,petol filter, cleaning of air filter(hks s/steel flow)just changed the coolant, change of oil, all oils in box, transfer +diff and ayc.
Belts changed less then 15K ago so no need. Not doing the water pump for now it can wait.
Changing the turbos to ceramic garrett and custom manifolds with cold air box and custom piping.
Road tuning the blitz r-fit controller and cleaning of injectors.

If I have forgotten anything then let me know.
Will dial the turbos at around 14-15psi and aim for a 11.5-12 AFR.
Will heat wrap down screamer pipes and make new heat shields for manifolds.
Will take lots of pics as car will be worked on next week so am looking forward to results.
Will get new injectors soon and FPR so hope for now car can get me approx 230ATW with stock injectors so may dial the turbos to 12psi or so if need be.

Also I cant get the 4 wheels to light up when dropping the clutch. Only with the steering wheel turned. Got told to remove the abs fuses and they are also running the ayc etc so any thoughts as was told removing the abs fuses may allow me to light all 4 wheels up.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Adam.

Sounds like a very exciting project!

If you were to do a comprehensive service, consider the following:

oil filter

clutch fluid

brake fluid bleed and flush

power steering fluid

02 sensor

ignition leads

Rocker cover gasket x 2 (MD174560).

Rocker cover washer seal (MD327253).

PCV valve gasket x 1 (MD179909).

Thermostat (MD175746 or MD337408).

Water pump (MD302010 or MD180580).

Crankshaft oil seal (cambelt side) (MD168055).

Rear main engine seal (MD 359158).

Front camshaft oil seal (MD153103 or MD372536).

Rear camshaft oil seal (MD180402 or MD133317).

I'd also be very careful lighting it up at full steering lock. Our power steering pumps tend to give up the ghost in these circumstances.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Hey Adam good to see another person doing a turbo upgrade. This is something that ill like to do in the near future to.

Just curious dude who in Melbourne is doing all the fab work and fitting? I might have to go check these people out.

harry

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Harry
Drive
Patrol, Sil80, Legnum VR4 TypeS
I've owned an R32 GTR and cannot fathom someone intentionally fitting old ceramic turbos to their engine! Its like playing russian roulette! do yourself a favour and research failed ceramic turbos on GTRs. 1bar is their absolute limit. And that's not to say they are safe at that point. 1bar is ragged edge stuff.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
yeah, Ive heard they can be dodgy too. Why not go with a couple of new ball bearing turbos that are the same size?

Just a thought.

G

Unregistered
Hey Rob work will be done in Kyrgyzstan where I am at but if all goes well then the guy here can re make manifolds for the R33 or R34 turbos and send them down and should be cheap.

Hey Harry. I got these for a great price of $500nz and I know about the 1 bar limitations and not fussed. Basically am aiming to get all work and turbos done for under $1000US.
Cant see anyone in NZ or OZ getting it done for under $5000aus so my outlay is a fraction due to the cost of labour and materilas in this country.
I dont mind russian roulet as my wife is russian so you can say I play russian roulett every day so I know you dont always get the bullet but if I do I will have all set up on the motor for gtr turbos and I can then buy something better like a super low kms R34 ball bearing or similar.
If I also damage the motor which I have read ceramics can blow up and damage internals it will give me a reason to do forged internals.

Thanks Bruce as I forgot about the powers steering fluid but all other bits have been already done and will upgrade the power steering pump shortly as well for those donut days.(leads, belts, fluids, o2 sensor etc already done)

G

Unregistered
I also got yesterday ralliart braided brake lines and installed them today.
Got to say that brake feel is noticably better straight away after the install.
Love the brembos and ralliart hoses and the Dot 5.1 fluid.
Just need to get some cross drilled front rotors but braking and pedal feels is so much better then stock calipers it aint funny and thats not even at high speeds.
$1000 US brembos set me back but postage was $300US so awsome upgrade for the money I recommend brembos highly.
Braided brake lines are hard to find but check ebay UK and only 50 pounds is the cheapest I found and they do make the pedal way more responsive. 50 pounds are not ralliart ones but that shouldnt matter.

Top Bottom