Serious help needed!!!

G

Unregistered
Hey guys, im in need of some help. I did the self diagnostic by grounding pin #1 of our OBD II. My check engine/engine management light began to blink and I got the error code 72 (Ventilation solenoid), I went on to fix that. I also had my neutral (5spd tiptronic tranny) blink the error code 51, problem is I haven't been able to correct this because I can't find any info on that specific code with the neutral blinking??? Anyone figure they can help me out here??? Thanks in advance!!!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Mark, have you tried checking out cvr4, best bet is.. one of the members there would've experienced what you're going thru..

also.. have you serviced your transmission, diff and AYC if you have it?!?

G

Unregistered
I had a look for that code and I couldn't find it on CVR4 either.

G

Unregistered
Thanks guys for having a look. I haven't had any success either!:confused:
I'll just have to wait and see, hopefully it's nothing serious!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Are you sure the error code was 51?? I've seen two occasions so far where someone was asking about a particular error code which didn't exist in the manuals, and it turned out that they weren't reading the light correctly. Not that I'm saying you've gotten it wrong - just that it's plausible and the manuals are meant to cover all the possible error codes - it shouldn't be possible for the system to give you an error code that doesn't exist.

G

Unregistered
Hey trev,

Yup, i'm sure it's a code 51. 5 long flashes and 1 short flash, funny thing is it's coming from the letter "N" on my gauge rather than the check engine. I cleared out the code by removing the ground terminal from my battery for a few minutes. After I took it for a drive the same code came back flashing from the "N (neutral)" sign on my gauge?????

G

Unregistered
Found the code .It is Abnormal communication with engine ecu(Vehicles without TCL) or Abnormal communication with TCL-ecu( Vehicles with TCL).

G

Unregistered
Thanks Peter!!!
Quick question though, sorry for my ignorance but what's the TCL?
Could I be getting this error code because we never activated the AYC or ABS?
We disabled the AYC because we figured since we're LHD drive over here and my ECU came from a RHD Legnum that the ECU would compensate as if the car was still a RHD. As for the ABS, we just never had it installed because our local Galants never had the provisoins for the ABS, not a big deal tough since we're using 4 wheel discs brakes and they're pretty strong. Mine is a 2000 model, where as the newer models locally sold have the ABS.

G

Unregistered
TCL is the traction control ecu. That will be the problem as the 2 ecu's can't communicate. If you not using them then I imagine you will not have any problems but you will always have that fault code unless somebody knows how to disable it.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
We disabled the AYC because we figured since we're LHD drive over here and my ECU came from a RHD Legnum that the ECU would compensate as if the car was still a RHD.
Mark do you still have the AYC system connected? Did you just disconnect the ECU? Or take the whole thing out? Because as I understand the way the AYC system works it shouldn't care if the car's LHD or RHD, it just cares whether the car's got traction, whether it's turning and what g-force it's experiencing going around a corner. As the car corners, the wheels are angled (which feeds back to the ECU) the yaw and pitch gyroscopes activate and the ECU calculates power required to the outside (and front and rear) wheels and adjusts as necessary (up to 9% I think, but Brad knows for sure). I can't think of any reason why LHD or RHD would make the slightest difference to the correct operation of the AYC system.

G

Unregistered
Is it a 2 wheel drive conversion though or 4 wheel drive

G

Unregistered
Peter, Trev, thanks for the input guys!!! Had a slight feeling that not having the AYC enable would bring up some type of an error code.

Peter,
Hopefully I don't run into any problems down the road by having it disabled!!:)

Trev,
Unfortunately the AYC switches didn't come with the package so i'm unable to hook it up.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Marcus, did you disable or remove the ABS? I would strongly suggest that you should have it working at all cost, might save a life or even yours.. :D and also possible $$$ pain..

G

Unregistered
Pete,

We did a 4wd conversion, bolted on the rear diff and propeller.

Christian,

Bro, we just never installed the ABS system since there were no provisions for it in the engine bay, not to mention that the ABS apparatus never came just the wiring!!!:ROFLMAO:. My Galant is a '00 model so it was never equipped with an ABS system, just 4 wheel discs brakes. I'll be doing a 4 pot front and 2 pot rear full brembo upgrade to compensate for the stopping power.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
ABS isn't about power, its about control - the optimum braking point is a fraction before your tires start skidding and lose traction. ABS tries to keep your wheels from locking up, thus ensuring shorter braking distance.

Not that it helps you any, of course! Unless you want to import a VR4 now??
icon14.gif

Top Bottom