Need help car wont start

fuji_heavy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Janne
Drive
Legnum
Hey guys, after some help.
Was driving along a while ago and the car stuttered and bit then just shut down. Wouldnt fire up at all just turning over.
I just changed the plugs with VK22s and leads with ICE leads. these had to be done anyway as they were long overdue. I was going to do the coils next, but surely all three coils couldnt be rooted? I'm thinking it might be a fuel issue now, i've got a walbro fuel pump installed about 2 years ago. It it helps its running a 3 port and was tuned by Steve a few years back. He said it was running very lean at the time.
Should i replace one coil and see if it that helps? Not sure where to go from here

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Was tuned by Steve a few years back. He said it was running very lean at the time.
Should i replace one coil and see if it that helps? Not sure where to go from here

It would be unrelated to the main issue, but I have heard of a few cars running lean on the dyno when that tiny little vac hose on the front of the plenum (near the throttle body) comes off and the fuel pressure regulator doesn't work properly.

Its unlikely that coils would cause it to die completely, but @naughtika may say otherwise, IFS definitely sounds like a good place to start.

fuji_heavy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Janne
Drive
Legnum
thanks guys. About the IFS, should i source a spare one to test with? anyone have one ?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
thanks guys. About the IFS, should i source a spare one to test with? anyone have one ?

Hi man, sorry I was on my phone and didn't look at the link Dice posted up. I just assumed it contained this information:

"If you need one due to failure, you can bypass it by shorting pins 3 and 4. This will at least restore power to the coils."

But I had to do a fair bit of searching to actually find that bit of information.

I think the pins are numbered left to right looking at the engine from the front, @TME_Steve might be able to confirm?
http://www.ozvr4.com/threads/wtb-ifs.14094/

Doing this will tell you if it is the IFS, and get you out of trouble.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
if one coil dies, it would only run like a subaru engine.. as 2 cylinders aren't working..

try testing the coils out first. you may need to get sparky to check..

have you ever replaced your fuel filter?

fuji_heavy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Janne
Drive
Legnum
Cheers for the replies guys. I joined pins 3 and 4 on the IFS with a paperclip, didnt make any change. It must be fuel related, will try the fuel filter next

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
If it's just died is usually ignition or airflow but not to say it can't be fuel

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Can you hear the pump?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Where in qld are you? I've got a car-full of spares if you need help with trial and error.

fuji_heavy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Janne
Drive
Legnum
Hey guys been a while since i last looked at the car. I cant hear the pump, even with the cover open and being right next to it while the missus turns the key, cant hear the pump. Does this mean its fudged, i replaced it a few years ago. How can i check?

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
Our fuel pumps dont prime like most cars, so will actually have to try and crank it to hear pump iirc

Interloper

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Legnum S Man, NX Paj, CBR1000RRSP2, CRF450
Also check that intercooler piping has not come loose or has a split somewhere

fuji_heavy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Janne
Drive
Legnum
so it was the crank angle sensor! got the car back from mechanics today who fixed up brakes and what not. Car drove fine on the way home, just took it out now and it stuttered and then stalled. Would start fine but sounded like poo and smoked a fair bit, could only drive a few metres and would stall. Its got new plugs and leads and coils and new crank angle sensor. Is it the IFS now? Thats what i got from reading this thread as sounds very similar. https://www.ozvr4.com/threads/inter...s-replaced-what-next.14610/page-2#post-341253

fuji_heavy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Janne
Drive
Legnum
Exactly what is was. Couldnt see it in the dark but it was loose as, running like a dream now. Who whats to buy it lol?

Top Bottom