Need Help! Car stalling and sometimes not starting!!!

Roy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Roy Repas
Drive
EC5W 99 and 98 (twin FLs), EC5A 96, E39A 89
I had this problem with a 300zx and an old Magna and both times it was the ignition module. but hey those cars were like 1985(magna elante)) and 1990 300zx TT. More complicated now with our cars. But yeah when it is cold it starts and eventually even cold you will not be able to get pass a certain rev like maybe max 3K and it would like fuel cut. Any symptoms like this for you? Back in the days when there were these performance guys at Moss Street Slacks Creek just next to the bridge in like 1998. and viet dude made me change the airflow meter as well and surprise surprise it was not that it was the Ignition module and both costed me about $900 each back in those days.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car

Balla1989

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Nick
Drive
1999 VR4 Galant and 1978 Ford XC Ute
mbilal. I'm having a similar problem. Did you get this sorted in the end and what was the problem?

marc mtp

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
marc
Drive
legnum
Having trouble with mine on first cold start , hit the key fires up to nearly 2500rpm then dies could do this 8 or more times . If I blip the throttle might keep it going on the second try then holds idle.
Does seem to idle high 1800 rpm , when warm stars first go every time, doesn’t stall any other time

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Having trouble with mine on first cold start , hit the key fires up to nearly 2500rpm then dies could do this 8 or more times . If I blip the throttle might keep it going on the second try then holds idle.
Does seem to idle high 1800 rpm , when warm stars first go every time, doesn’t stall any other time

you probably have vacuum leak somewhere.. have you tried troubleshooting yet or just still tinkering about it?

marc mtp

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
marc
Drive
legnum
Changed some hoses that looked split on the outside but no change, bridged pin 3-4 on ifs no change either

marc mtp

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
marc
Drive
legnum
Yes using eco scan can’t see nothing wrong no codes all temps reading correct. Just replaced isc with new genuine one the o ring was perished but still no change on cold start

Tony_T

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tony
Drive
Legnum VR-4 1997
If it is the same symptom as the OP, I had something very similar and it was the relay in the engine bay which switches the fuel pump between direct feed and through the resistor. It looked like a fairly normal automotive relay but when I finally caught it in the act of being faulty and cut it open to look at the contacts I found a small circuit board with a tiny PCB mounting relay on it inside the housing. It's a wonder it held the load for as many years as it did, but there's now a proper automotive grade relay in the car .... those cheeky Chinese!

Top Bottom