New DSLR!!! Anyone else into photography on here?

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Well I finally upgraded and have a bunch of new toys! :)

Nikon D7000
Nikon 35mm 1.8G
Nikon 16-85mm f3.5-5.6
Nikon flash SB-910

Still waiting for the 16-85mm to arrive, but am LOVING the 35mm, it's a beautiful little lens!
Will post some random photos up once I figure out the right section to do so and I have finished playing with it all :)

I did a search for the right section to place this sort of thread any random pics, but couldn't find anywhere but here. Is this ok?

Anyone else into photography? Feel like sharing your gear and some pics?

Cheers!
Pete

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Ha this is something the wife enjoys as well, and was supposed to be for the Europe trip... which is up in the air right now...

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I'm a little bit in to it, I have some photos here (not that regularly updated, my personal account gets updated way more often haha):
www.facebook.com/creativebytommy

A few other pictures of mine can be found around this forum, buried somewhere lol.

Too lazy to set up a proper website. Lots of junk scattered here too:
www.omgtom.net/pics

I currently have:
Canon 550D
Canon 50mm f/1.8 Macro
Tamron 17-55 f/2.8
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6
Canon 55-250 f/3.5-6.3
Plus various accessories, like tall tripods, monopods, multiple speedlites, wireless remotes and receivers, etc etc

And a Sony Nex-5N with a 18-55 and 16mm. Great camera, could potentially replace the above if more lenses were available and weren't stupidly expensive. But I bought it for easy to carry around and it's fantastic high ISO capabilities.

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
I'm a little bit in to it, I have some photos here (not that regularly updated, my personal account gets updated way more often haha):
www.facebook.com/creativebytommy

A few other pictures of mine can be found around this forum, buried somewhere lol.

Too lazy to set up a proper website. Lots of junk scattered here too:
www.omgtom.net/pics

I currently have:
Canon 550D
Canon 50mm f/1.8 Macro
Tamron 17-55 f/2.8
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6
Canon 55-250 f/3.5-6.3
Plus various accessories, like tall tripods, monopods, multiple speedlites, wireless remotes and receivers, etc etc

And a Sony Nex-5N with a 18-55 and 16mm. Great camera, could potentially replace the above if more lenses were available and weren't stupidly expensive. But I bought it for easy to carry around and it's fantastic high ISO capabilities.

I want your mates C63, one of my favourite cars , mmmmmmm

Itchy Scrot

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Luke
Drive
Legnum & scrotary
Oh cool - photography thread - someone read my mind

I have a sony A33 with a 50mm and a stock lens
Ebay tripod, and a million batteries.

If anyone wants shots done of their car, gimme a hoi. Im only starting out, and really shy about it all too lol.
Im in SA, btw. And would love the practice.

Id post up a pic, but i can't find the ones im after....

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
How did I miss this thread a month ago haha?

Looks like a great setup to start with Peter. Pretty keen on a D7000 myself, or whatever Nikon will bring out to replace it soonish as I really want bracketing, proper wireless TTL flash setup and better high ISO performance. That 35mm f1.8 is a beauty, got it about a month ago myself and love it to bits. So sharp!

My current setup is a bit eclectic...

Nikon D3100
Nikon 18-55mm VR kit lens
Nikon 55-200mm kit lens
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8
Nikon 35mm f1.8G
Cheap tripod, Gorillapod, huge Manfrotto backpack, Herringbone hand strap lol
Also been playing with an old Ricoh KR-5 35mm SLR & 55mm f2.2 that my old man bought brand new!

Looking to get a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non-VC and a Nissin Di866 in the near future, as my kit is sorely lacking in low-light performance...
Can't wait to get lots of good use from my 70-200 at WTAC in August! Although a huge lens like that looks completely bonkers on a Shetland-body like my D3100 :LOL:

Have you taken much yet Peter? Put what you have up! You too, Luke.

All my shite is in the Flickr link in my sig.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
I dabble a little bit in photography, mainly macro work.

You can see some of my stuff here...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/taylorsflickr/

I've never done car photography, but I'd be willing to give it a go!

My set up is a Pentax K-x with a range of old lenses from the 70's and 80's. I reverse the lenses for my macro work, it's a fairly ghetto set up.

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
There's some stunning macro shots in there. Wow!

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
How did I miss this thread a month ago haha?

Looks like a great setup to start with Peter. Pretty keen on a D7000 myself, or whatever Nikon will bring out to replace it soonish as I really want bracketing, proper wireless TTL flash setup and better high ISO performance. That 35mm f1.8 is a beauty, got it about a month ago myself and love it to bits. So sharp!

My current setup is a bit eclectic...

Nikon D3100
Nikon 18-55mm VR kit lens
Nikon 55-200mm kit lens
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8
Nikon 35mm f1.8G
Cheap tripod, Gorillapod, huge Manfrotto backpack, Herringbone hand strap lol
Also been playing with an old Ricoh KR-5 35mm SLR & 55mm f2.2 that my old man bought brand new!

Looking to get a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non-VC and a Nissin Di866 in the near future, as my kit is sorely lacking in low-light performance...
Can't wait to get lots of good use from my 70-200 at WTAC in August! Although a huge lens like that looks completely bonkers on a Shetland-body like my D3100 :LOL:

Have you taken much yet Peter? Put what you have up! You too, Luke.

All my shite is in the Flickr link in my sig.

Yeah I initially had a film Canon which I did a few weddings in but then crossed the great divide into Digital with an entry level Nikon D40. Grew out of that fairly fast even though it's an amazing little DSLR for its price hence the upgrade to the D7000.
Mum got Dad the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 the other day for their anniversary (he has a D90) and my Bro-in-law also has one on his D90 and they are a brilliant little lens for the price. Thoroughly recommended.

To be honest I haven't had a chance to really get out and play with it which is annoying :( Been busy on the nice days and it's been filthy wet and muddy on the days when I could! Taken a heap of my new nephew but don't think my sis would want me posting up his pics.
The only thing that the D7000+35mm combo which annoys me a bit is that the autofocusing isn't always accurate. With 32 focus points (can set it to 11) it doesn't always pick what I want, so just have to double check before I press the go button. Haven't figured out if I can change it to single or centre point focusing yet.

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
Once you get used to using single focus points, for fairly still subjects anyway, things get much easier! It took me a few shoots to remember to change it all the time, but once you do, your AF issues will go. Mine's really good even in pretty crappy light.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
My camera shat the bed, $350 to fix. Stuck between wanting something different and not wanting to spend money. Ugh. Sadly it's an Olympus and they have pretty much vacated the low-mid range SLR market so I can't buy a new body and keep my lenses unless I go with a PEN series camera and use adapters, and I don't really want one of them as my main camera.

Sucks!

Abusive

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 Legnum
^ I have a feeling that the guy currently in 1st place has called on his friends votes, there is no way that mini person on a motherboard shot is the best there.

edit: You got my vote, I like that photo of yours anyway.. maybe not the 'best' one there but a fine photo all the same. Good luck with winning, I hope the forum gets on board for you.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Hey photo type people. I need some advice and didn't think it warranted a new thread. So here I am.

I'm looking for a lens to use for static photography, mainly automotive, that will allow me to achieve a shallow depth of field/selective focus and perform well in low light. I have been looking at 3 options and was wondering if anyone could help me choose.

1. An Olympus OM-system 50mm f1.8 lens with a 4/3 adapter. The cheapest option, but because it is a "vintage" non-digital lens I will not have a/f. Not a big deal.

2. An Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm f3.5 macro lens - mid price, made for my new E-620 so it supports all the features my camera offers. Specs: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/405347-REG/Olympus_261053_Zuiko_Digital_35mm_f_3_5.html

3. An Olympus Zuiko Digital 50mm f2.0 macro lens - again made for my camera, more expensive, but if it's perfect I could afford it... Specs: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/301932-REG/Olympus_261003_50mm_f_2_0_Macro_ED.html

I am no expert in this area and it's a fairly big financial commitment, so any help that anyone can offer would be seriously appreciated.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Go for something wider than 50 and even 35mm. On a digital camera a 50mm lens can actually be up to 80mm on a cropped digital sensor. I'd be looking at 24mm and wider for car photography. Check out DPReview for some reviews on lenses...

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/?category=lenses&order=brand

There are a few Olympus lenses there. I'm not familiar with Olympus gear so I can't recommend any specific lenses.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
As above 50mm it's to big on a cropped sensor.

35mm would be ok, but best idea is to try to borrow/hire one and play.

Top Bottom