New DSLR!!! Anyone else into photography on here?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Thanks guys.

Olympus also offer a 25mm lens, but it is not highly regarded. More of a "kit" lens.

I have a 14-42mm kit lens that I currently use for this purpose but I'm looking at purchasing something that will give me better performance with shallow depths of field and more professional and interesting results. The 35mm might be the go. The only thing I'm unsure of with it is the f3.5 compared with the f2.0 of the 50mm macro. Will that significantly affect low light performance?

It is a bit of a shame that I'm locked into using the 4/3 mount as options are somewhat limited, but it is what it is.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Thanks guys.

Olympus also offer a 25mm lens, but it is not highly regarded. More of a "kit" lens.

I have a 14-42mm kit lens that I currently use for this purpose but I'm looking at purchasing something that will give me better performance with shallow depths of field and more professional and interesting results. The 35mm might be the go. The only thing I'm unsure of with it is the f3.5 compared with the f2.0 of the 50mm macro. Will that significantly affect low light performance?

It is a bit of a shame that I'm locked into using the 4/3 mount as options are somewhat limited, but it is what it is.

With car photography you have the luxury of being able to use a tripod so shutter speed isn't so much of an issue. f2.0 will give you a shallower depth of field though.

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
Yeah the f3.5 won't give you fantastic DOF and bokeh. But as everyone else has said, 50mm on a 4/3 sensor (which is even smaller than your usual crop/APS-C sensor) won't really be wide enough. I've got a 35mm on a crop which works well even though it's a little tight.

Not sure if any 17-50mm f2.8s or similar come in an Olympus mount, but I'm think the Sigma 30mm f1.4 does which has gorgeous bokeh and will be mad in low-light.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Certainly reviews well, quite keen on it. This example is $100 cheaper than the 30mm f1.4. Is the slightly shorter focal length of the 24mm and the fact that it is advertised as a macro enough to overcome the slightly slower nature of it? Maybe...

I have also found an Olympus 35mm f3.5 for a very very cheap price. I don't want it instead of the Sigma, but are there any advantages to that type of lens in certain circumstances that would make it a valuable one to have in the kit bag as well? Maybe better for shooting in bright light? Interested in this because I could afford both...

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
I guess it just depends if you need that focal length or not. 24mm is about as narrow as I would go for car photography on a micro four thirds. I've got a 28mm and a couple of 50mms. My kit lens is 18-55mm and really only use it at its widest settings. My prime 50's are better than my 18-55 at 50-55.

In other words, I'd stick with the 24mm and leave it at that. If you find you're wanting something more narrow, grab the 35mm.

G

Unregistered
Some good info here guys, I have just started trying to get into photography a bit more. It's always been something I have been interested in. I have a canon 1100d with a 50mm portrait lens, a 70-150 mm lens and a 300mm pervert lens, I think lol. Is there a thread on here where we can all post our personal DSLR photography for comments and criticism from like minded individuals?If not we should start one to help us share and develop our skills.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Can we just use this for photos? Is Poita able to change the subject title?

G

Unregistered
Would be good to have a nice place, not spam it too hard with photos, just a place to express our ideas and show some select photos and give some good criticism. Awesome photos can be placed in the appropriate awesome photos thread lol. just an idea if anyone else is keen.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
I'm keen as. I don't have anything new to post so if you want to start a thread in the off topic section I say go for it.

Top Bottom