NSW New Legnum owner from Sydney

heshan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Heshan
Drive
2000 Legnum VR-4
Hi guys,

Just bought a 2000 Legnum (manual) over the weekend. It's been great so far. I'm a scarce driver and don't expect to do any performance upgrades on the car. Some superficial changes are in my mind such as the interior Teak trim and the steering (possibly). Also bought a set of 18" CST concave rims to put on the car once the ride height is adjusted. Btw, the car has rear and front negative camber setup so I'm not sure whether the rear and front has some upgrades which I've seen as something that shouldn't be done.

The car's got a coilovers (looks like BC Gold) and an aftermarket exhaust from the CAT however not sure if this has improved the performance.

It's got a pearl white paint and seems like its done either in Japan or by the first owner. No service records were available which was a major risk but the car drove well and the engine felt strong and had very little to no rattles.

Since I bought I've found that the power steering has an issue where it has a audible whine and increases when you turn the wheel.

I'm looking for a good spot around Parramatta NSW to do a FULL Inspection + service to start off with the service records and maintain as much as possible with this same place. Any recommendations boys and girls?

IMG_20150823_112209_lowres.jpg
IMG_20150830_210522.jpg
IMG_20150831_100113.jpg
IMG_20150831_100141.jpg
IMG_20150831_100233.jpg
download_20150829_164759.jpg

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Welcome aboard mate. Still needs a tune ;)

heshan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Heshan
Drive
2000 Legnum VR-4
Thanks TME_steve. I've seen your name in.many places linked with tuning. I will definitely need to come to you soon :)

Need a good servicing place for the car. Any suggestions? Meek?

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Welcome to the forum Heshan.

Unclepaulie's infamous welcome template, version 15.13c

Stuff you need to know:
- Forum rules

Stuff that could save your life:
Do not buy aftermarket suspension parts, especially Lower Control Arms (LCAs)

- This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms
- Recall check using your chassis number

Useful threads:
- INDEX - Look here FIRST
- Guide to Galant & Legnum common problems
- The most important thread on the forum. MUST READ
- Staged Upgrades
- Legnum/Galant Production Info

Posting new threads is restricted by default. For full access you need to be a Premium Member ($15 a year):
- Upgrading your account

Please read before selling anything on this site:
- Rules for posting in the classifieds

heshan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Heshan
Drive
2000 Legnum VR-4
Thanks guys. Yes it does look clean. Need a mechanical inspection soon as I bought with no service history. Car drives quite well and I can't believe how smooth the power delivery is. This is my first mitsy EVER and first Twin turbo car.

Looking forward to speaking with Steve on getting a thorough inspection done.

Looking to do a Brembo brake conversion and some recaro seats for now.

heshan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Heshan
Drive
2000 Legnum VR-4
Quick update:

- Dropped off the car at TME_Steve's.. First take from him was good :) Doing a few standard maintenance stuff like engine mounts, LCA and Tie-rods
- Also increasing ride-height by 25mm :) Waaayyy too low... rubbed the front bumper trying to park near Steve's workshop :( :(
- According to Steve the car has had done some key upgrades based on the OZVR4 recommendations such as a PS cooler, bigger Intercooler and a fuel rail loop so seems like the previous owner seems to be a member here.. Anyone heard of a Chris Walker?

To do:
- Wheel balancing
- sparks and rocker cover gasket replacement
- Tune with Steve (previous owner had a 3-port boost solenoid in the parts I got which happens to be the same version Steve ships out)
- brakes upgrade to evo (front n back)
- Recaro seats (if possible)

All in all seems like the purchase has been an clean and OK one. Hopefully will last that way for the next few yrs as I'm in it for the long run :)

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
- According to Steve the car has had done some key upgrades based on the OZVR4 recommendations such as a PS cooler, bigger Intercooler and a fuel rail loop so seems like the previous owner seems to be a member here.. Anyone heard of a Chris Walker?

Yep - I couldn't find an intro thread for him though. Seems like he was the first owner in Oz though:
[NSW] All Japan Day - 13th November 2011

heshan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Heshan
Drive
2000 Legnum VR-4
Oh perferct! Msged CWalker and now I'll wait.. May be I'll get lucky and get some history and some documents..

Just got the car back from Steve.. Got a few more things to keep an eye out like a weird while that comes when on the highway letting go of the accelerator and getting back on gas makes the sound go away. Car looks pretty clean underneath and also the PS whine has reduced a lot..

One new thing I noticed is a car vibrating between 800-1500 rpm after the engine mounts were changed. Will let the mounts run in and see how things are. This vibration was definitely not there before want to make sure its not something I need to worry.

All in all been quite productive and cars getting a profile which is always good!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
The vibration will be normal post new engine mounts. They are a better product than OEM. Mine does it too but I don't notice it anymore, and after a short time neither will you

heshan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Heshan
Drive
2000 Legnum VR-4
thanks jungle will definitely be looking at it on how things progress.. worry came about when i noticed the vibration while on neutral n testing out the power steering whine; the whole car vibrated and wondered if the mounts are not seated right.

aiwasaki

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Azan
Drive
S2 Legnum VR4
Hi heshan, clean looking Legnum!

Do you know the specs (width, offset etc) of your wheels and tyres? I'm thinking of upgrading at some point as I'm running 5mm spacers and still not happy with how my wheels are sitting. Also keen for something with concave like yours

heshan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Heshan
Drive
2000 Legnum VR-4
Hi heshan, clean looking Legnum!

Do you know the specs (width, offset etc) of your wheels and tyres? I'm thinking of upgrading at some point as I'm running 5mm spacers and still not happy with how my wheels are sitting. Also keen for something with concave like yours

Hi Aiwasaki,

Mine are CST Hyper Zero-1's. They are 18"x9" +30 offset without any spacers across all 4. Ideal sizes would be 18"x9" +30 for the rears and +38 for the fronts. Currently the fronts are slightly outside the fender but not a major issue if I lower a bit as that will create bit of negative camber I guess.

aiwasaki

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Azan
Drive
S2 Legnum VR4
Thanks heshan. From memory, my wheels are 18x8.5 +35.

You're not keen to lower the front (and back of course) to pull your wheels in a bit? My Legnum (at a guess) is 20mm lower than yours at the front and haven't had issues with camber. Well... by issues I mean excessive wear on my tyres. In terms of handing and practicality eg speed bumps, well that's another matter... :)

heshan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Heshan
Drive
2000 Legnum VR-4
Thanks heshan. From memory, my wheels are 18x8.5 +35.

You're not keen to lower the front (and back of course) to pull your wheels in a bit? My Legnum (at a guess) is 20mm lower than yours at the front and haven't had issues with camber. Well... by issues I mean excessive wear on my tyres. In terms of handing and practicality eg speed bumps, well that's another matter... :)

Don't want to pull or roll the arches at all. Want to keep this car stock in everyway :)

I think for you if you found a rim with +25 offset you will get the same look as mine.

I raised my car by 25mm as it was rubbing everywhere and it just drove me nuts to hear that sound! I've attached a pic when it used to be quite low..

Attachments

• IMG_20150831_100113.jpg
    IMG_20150831_100113.jpg
    835.8 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom