frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
so i been noticing lately that my 2nd gear likes to be very difficult to get into for the first few minutes of driving of a morning. It seems to work after i stop and go between 1st and 2nd to 'loosen' it or warm it up? No idea. Anyone know what this could be? Its really annoying and i dont want it to get worse. Would this just need an oil change to fix the problem? Im almost on 82k km.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Josh is your car manual or AT? Either way, first port of call should be lube change if you haven't had one done since you received the car...

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i don't suppose a certain vr4 guru wanted to help me with that? A Christian perhaps? Lol.. Ill owe ya yet another one... Soon ill probably owe you enough im labour to reposess the car lol

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Same problem on my manual, when the car is cold its very hard to put in any gear! but when i have drive i for 5 minutes then gear comes in smooth and easy!

Very strange is that when i try the gears when the car is not started and when its cold, the gears are also very smooth to put in, but when i start it it can be very hard to put i any gear.

May a oil change solve this problem?

Very annoyning

Can high idle do it worse to put in gears? i have aorund 1000rpm when the car is warm shouldnt it be like 650?

Michael, check your throttle cable if its snagged/sticky then adjust it as per normal operation..

on topic, I'm starting to get the same issue, I'll change my gearbox's oil on friday next week... Josh wanna do yours as well? for the mean time I strongly suggest you drive your car like a baby..

G

Unregistered
Michael, check your throttle cable if its snagged/sticky then adjust it as per normal operation..

on topic, I'm starting to get the same issue, I'll change my gearbox's oil on friday next week... Josh wanna do yours as well? for the mean time I strongly suggest you drive your car like a baby..

Do you have any picture were the throttle cable is :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
its just the wire cable from the firewall leading into the throttle body.. it's got the adjuster behind the plenum.. its got 2x 10mm bolts holding it tight..

rich

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
richard
Drive
ford xe 351 legnum vr4 Ford G6ET
Its nothing to worry about, I changed the oil in mine, but the colder it gets the harder it is to get into gear. Its been warmer the last week its been fine, but it will be back as soon as its cold again. My 1990 vr4 did the exact same thing. Just wait for it to warm up a bit, and work though the gears a few times before you drive off. Some oils are better than others though.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Phantom, how's your gear changes after the oil change? can you update us if you don't mind..

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
We had a similar problem when our transfer case was leaking. Most of the fluid was getting pumped away from the transfer case and it was very hard to get 1st and 2nd. Haven't had a problem since the clutch, gear box and transfer case issue has been sorted out.

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
I had exactly the same prob, I basically had to go from 1st to 3rd for the first 10 mins of driving.

I'm running an auto tranny oil now and it's been working a treat for the last month or so

G

Unregistered
Phantom, how's your gear changes after the oil change? can you update us if you don't mind..

A bit better but redline mt90 is not as good as quakerstate quadrolube when the car is cold, goggled and find out that people complained about mt90 and stiff gears when the car is cold and the some people blend it with redline mtl 50/50 to loosen it up a little bit when the car is cold.

Im gonna change oil the third time to see difference in oil :p (motul this time) and also check transfercase oil, if its to low oil in the transfercase could that do that it wll be problem to put in gears when the car is could and that gears stick sometimes so you need to use nearly violent force to get the gear to neutral?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I had exactly the same prob, I basically had to go from 1st to 3rd for the first 10 mins of driving.

I'm running an auto tranny oil now and it's been working a treat for the last month or so

huh?! are you driving an auto or manual?! I assume its an auto..

*extra update*

car is still a little sticky when cold, but i think this time it's the brake fluid for the slave cylinder.. so I'll bleed it next week.. anyone in brissy wanna help?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
that's the grease for the spring.. so it doesn't squeak.. seems like its degraded..

wait for 2nd opinion from other members :)

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
huh?! are you driving an auto or manual?! I assume its an auto..

*extra update*

car is still a little sticky when cold, but i think this time it's the brake fluid for the slave cylinder.. so I'll bleed it next week.. anyone in brissy wanna help?

you can run auto oil in manual trannys. fords tremac manuals use dextron!

Top Bottom