Premium Member
First Name
Abe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Well, my three weeks in Japan is at its end. Final parts collection:
FL knuckles
5spd shifter
Spare upper/lower steering column cover.
Recaro slider rails passenger/driver
Recaro sr3
Works bell steering wheel hub
Works bell steering wheel QD
Cusco 3pc hard line kit
Standard double din stereo brackets
Trans gasket set
Paddle shifters

And some stuff for friends

jdmftwyo

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Joe
Drive
97 Mirage to Evo 4 conversion
97 Legnum VR4
Well, my three weeks in Japan is at its end. Final parts collection:
FL knuckles
5spd shifter
Spare upper/lower steering column cover.
Recaro slider rails passenger/driver
Recaro sr3
Works bell steering wheel hub
Works bell steering wheel QD
Cusco 3pc hard line kit
Standard double din stereo brackets
Trans gasket set
Paddle shifters

And some stuff for friends
Not a bad haul. I wonder if the same rails would work to let me use my Recaro SPJ's

Wakaba

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Abe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Not a bad haul. I wonder if the same rails would work to let me use my Recaro SPJ's

They are the six bolt sliders on separate lower brackets. So you can swap the internal/external catch sliders, or side mount plates, as needed. They should be at the post office at home. I’ll post pics and part numbers. The pair popped up on yahoo a few months ago. Paid a bit more than I wanted, but figured it was worth it to get the set and not have to source separate.

Now I need to find a passenger side gray SR3. 🤣🤣🤦‍♂️

The seat was about $365usd, and managed to get it into check baggage.

IMG_5020.jpeg

🤣

cheeks

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Dylan
Drive
'97 Legnum 25ST-R
Hello, fellow Statesmen.

I have a '97 Legnum ST-R whose rear differential is sounding a bit noisy, whines a bit when turning at slow speeds. In preparation, should I look to buy a new diff, if so what rear diffs are compatible?

In the future, I plan to swap the 6A13 NA with a 4G63T, so maybe getting a diff from a AWD Eclipse or Evo would be beneficial?

Thanks!

jdmftwyo

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Joe
Drive
97 Mirage to Evo 4 conversion
97 Legnum VR4
Hello, fellow Statesmen.

I have a '97 Legnum ST-R whose rear differential is sounding a bit noisy, whines a bit when turning at slow speeds. In preparation, should I look to buy a new diff, if so what rear diffs are compatible?

In the future, I plan to swap the 6A13 NA with a 4G63T, so maybe getting a diff from a AWD Eclipse or Evo would be beneficial?

Thanks!
If I had to guess it would be the same diff thats in the US 03-06 outlander. Its a non LSD diff (but its the same diff as evo 4-9 RS with LSD)

Wakaba

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Abe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Got the hole fixed in the junk-bin Cusco hardline kit, and installed.

IMG_5361.jpeg
IMG_5362.jpeg
IMG_5363.jpeg

Wakaba

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Abe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Golpher radiator, a LOT nicer than I thought it was going to be.
IMG_5460.jpeg
IMG_5459.jpeg
IMG_5461.jpeg

BCX

Administrator
Premium Member
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
I have a golpher, stock fans clear the turbo... Just...

If I had my time again, would go another oem radiator rather than the golpher. Nothing to do with the quality of it, more the thicker rad is a pita to work with sometimes and the recovery tank is no longer the correct size. Too much expansion so dumps coolant out the overflow, then not enough when it cools and (sometimes) draws air into the system.

From others who've taken theirs to the track, seems the oem radiator is more than adequate for cooling. So for a street car, thicker aluminium rad is overkill.

I originally got the golpher as it was easier to source than an oem one after my tanks cracked. This was shortly after my Galant got imported into AU about 14 years ago and all the radiator places I went to laughed at me and said goodluck trying to source one (or replacement tanks) due to the car being a grey import and rare in AU.

These days, can easily get a koyorad or similar here in AU.

Last edited:

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
I had the Golpher too, thick type, 40mm if I remember correctly. The radiator fans mounting frame may need to cut a little bit as it is a little bit too close to the turbo/pipes.

As BCX said, the recovery tank is no longer correct size, you can also consider buying 1 more 2nd hand tank and then somehow combine together, so that double the containing volume.

Wakaba

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Abe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Thank you guys!

Already have a 1.5L expansion tank in the shop from another project. Should be fine for a 8-8.5L system.

Getting an OEM type, or even a Koyo brass replacement, is not a cheap adventure here, and that likely will never get better.

Wakaba

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Abe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Long story short. Found this larger capacity direct drop in coolant expansion tank from a car that has a 8.8L coolant system.

Before:

IMG_5550.jpeg

After:

IMG_5553.jpeg

Adds just about 250mL with room for a bit of air over the standard part.

Part number MR212510.

Fits 3G Eclipse and some Galants if you’re junkyard hunting.

Going to watch carefully to see if it’s enough for the upgraded radiator. If not a small recovery tank may be in order.

Last edited:

Wakaba

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Abe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
How tight is is in there now?

It’s tight. I ended up trimming down the lower driver side arm for each fan to clear AC line and the turbo cold side. Other than that it was a perfect fit. Bolts all lined up, even the stock trans cooler hard lines were spot on.

My only complaint is the radiator overflow nipple isn’t straight down the core. I’ll get over that.

Top Bottom