Number Plate mounts

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hey everyone..

Im not sure if ive started this topic here or in the old one.. but recently i've beem seeing alot of cars that have their front Plate numbers mounted on the side.. mostly the ones i've seen are.. Skylines, Lancer EVO, WRX's and others..

I spoke to a friend and apparently it is allowed to mount the front plates on the side as long as its facing forward..

G

Unregistered
in WA, the plate can be anywhere from the centre, to the left of the front of the car, as long as it faces forwards.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
More room for the VR-4 to inhale insects and small children into the intercooler I think ;)

[edit] yes, I've already got slimline plates. Will be transferring over my plates to my new ride soon.

G

Unregistered
With the standard front bar you will have a big cut out in the middle where the number plate is meant to be, I just want to get a slim line, that way it won't hand down over the front cut out anyway

G

Unregistered
That side mounting was started many years ago from the Drifters ...

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
It was a popular craze on VL turbo commodores aswell. I had the number plate on my VL Calais turbo mounted to the side of the bar, only because I cut the bar up to fit the cooler in.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Slim line plates on the front for me thanks. I don't really like that on the side look unless its really necessary.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I just bought two custom plate numbers yesterday. In WA you can get slim-line aluminium plates for $335, which is about twice what it cost five years ago... We also have an option for a slimline front and standard back, which looks better than slimline on the back IMO (as most cars have a big fat ugly space for a standard sized plate on the back that looks stupid if you don't fill it).

WA also has a polycarbonate plate which costs $455, but I'm not really sure why you'd want them as they look rubbish *shrugs*

If you only have 3 characters in the plate you can also get a half-width size plate (but not half-height) which can look pretty cool... only you can't get them with a full size rear plate - its either BOTH half width or neither :confused:

For four to five characters you can get a ¾ width plate, with the same rules as the ½ size.

Pricing is based on the type of plate, not the options. So any size you get is $335 for alu and $455 for polycarbonate.

And rumours abound (but no solid evidence YET) suggesting that sometime soon WA licensing will stop allowing you to BUY custom name plates and you'll only be able to LEASE them for an annual fee. Which is rather poxy compared with the current one-off payment for perpetual ownership...

If you're thinking about custom plates, just buy them now - you can transfer them to any car you like for around $14, or just keep the plates (yourself or at a licensing centre) until you're ready to use them... or sell them ;) The longer you wait, the more expensive they'll get and the less likely you'll be to get what you want.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
And rumours abound (but no solid evidence YET) suggesting that sometime soon WA licensing will stop allowing you to BUY custom name plates and you'll only be able to LEASE them for an annual fee. Which is rather poxy compared with the current one-off payment for perpetual ownership...

It wouldn't suprise me, in NSW our fully custom plates (a combination of 6 or less numbers and letters) have a ordering fee of $30 and an annual fee ranging from $400 to $500 depending on colour, that is paid at rego time. Even our custom standard plates (like you initials and a few numbers) will cost you upwards of $100 per year. My Legnum number plates MY-25-TT cost me $30 to order plus $90 per year.

NSW is the most expensive state to own a car (n)

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
I got slim lines in the CC XXXX format, the rear was fine, but they were about 10 mm too wide on the front - so i bent them ever so slightly, as well as adding a washer to the spacers that were already there and they are perfect ;)

The CC format (aka 'premium plates) in SA costs a once off $190. Then add stamp duty. Then add inspection fees. Then add rego and you have a 1k plus bill rego bill. Dam you, govt *shakes fist*

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Any VR4 owners with their plates mounted like this, how have you done it... custom brackets or self adhesive plates, other?

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
You want a Cusco license plate relocation kit ;) http://www.nengun.com/cusco/license-plate-relocation-kits

I actually would prefer to have a slimline in the center with a bracket to raise it but my car came with a side relocated license plate holder which was screwed into the front bar. The previous owner kindly cut the top of the front bar where the plate would normally go. When I bought the car, the license plate was covering the right foglight hole which has the trans cooler. No fog light, and less air to the cooler :huh: I modified my side mounted plate location so it sits between the fog light without covering too much intercooler.

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
anyone know which number plate relocation kit will fit a PFL Legnum? I might be better to just make one

Top Bottom