oil catch can under $20

G

Unregistered
Hi guys no picks for now but thought I would share as I was impressed at the amount of cheap mods you have all done.
My contribution is as follows.
Anyone can do this themselves.
First you need about 2 meters of about 6mm hose, the same size as running from the radiator cap to the top of the side coolant resevoir. Then buy about 6 X6mm metal clamps.(I just realised that in oz these will make the mod more then under $20 but still cheap as in kyrgyzstan they sell for about 15c each) anyway back to the mod.
Then buy one 4mm T piece basically big enough for the hose.
Then trach down a large petrol diesel filter I used a VW filter.It really doesnt matter what brand all you need is that the diesel filter is metal, is a bit bigger then a coke can and has one plug at the bottom to drain the oil when needed.Has one plug at the top and has two other top outlets for the hoses.
191127401A.JPG
I found this pick so hope it helps.I recommend the filter to be without the shielding on the bottom hole and just be a hole as it gives you more space and makes it easier to insert a tube in for the air breather filter once finished.
Now all you need to do is cut the filter in half and remove the paper or any filtration stuff so that you have an empty can.You the can weld the filter together as I did or duct tape or use a bit of tyre tube type rubber and wrap it around so as to seal the filter tight and then use two large metal clamps to clamp the rubber tight so you know have a sealed can.
You then remove the plastic engine cover where you will see on top in the front right hand corner above the oil cap a rubber hose. You need to place a T piece into this hose about 6-7cm from the rocker cover corner.Just cut out a piece as big as your T piece.Then clamp the hose back onto the T piece and run a new hose from the T piece new 3rd outlet to the can/filter/ cheap catch can. The catch can sits nicely next to the engine oil dip stick. Just bend the dip stick forward a touch and it sits in nicely with no obstruction. The catch can can be then secured by a plastic tie to the black metal bar that you see in front of the dip stick that attaches to the engine.
You now have one hose connected and now all you need is to take the second hose that is located about 6-10cm to the left of the first breather hose. The second hose is easy to see as you can remove the plastic bung that plugs into the top of the rocker cover. Then all you do is take the hose of the plastic bung and cut the hose and plug it up with a bolt or just plug it up.
I cut mine so as to make it sit nice and low and out of the way.Then you take more new hosing and run the hose from the plastic bung to the second of your outlets on top of the filter/catch can. Finally there is one hole left on top of the fuel filter and I inserted a little plastic pipe inside and got a cheap fuel filter and cut it in half to make a breather.
Just now make sure that you have clamped all of the hoses and the T piece and you got yourself a catch can in 30-60 minutes.
You can run red hosing to make it look nicer and paint the catch can too.
Good luck and I am sure there will be questions but I will try and post some picks asap.

Top Bottom