Oil pressure sensor

LEGVR4

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
So got the fading on and off oil warning light recently, checked the forums first and my oil is good, recently changed, etc so suspect faulty sensor.
So with the guide/write up reviewed I went to change it but instead of the single sensor I was expecting I have an extended tube set up with 2 sensors attached.

Any ideas what this set up is about?
1694236801896.jpeg

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
That sensor on RHS of the image is an aftermarket oil pressure sensor. Looks like the one used on most DEFI gauges. The one on the end, closest to you is the OEM one. Someone has installed a tee, fairly common but unfortunately most people get the wrong thread and mangle the OEM thread.

This likely explains what looks like a leak around the area. I think the OE thread is 1/8 BSPT and people jam 1/8NPT in. Can't remember off the top of my head unfortunately.

Regarding the light, I am guessing the cause could be that Phillips head screw, give that a twist and see if the light comes and goes. That or some good ol contact cleaner on the single pin.

LEGVR4

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Thanks, just did some further forum digging and found another write up and one might be oil pressure and the other oil temp sensor.
there is no secondary gauge for pressure.. but then again theres none for temp either... time to start tracing back the leads...

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Thanks, just did some further forum digging and found another write up and one might be oil pressure and the other oil temp sensor.
Likely, an oil temp sensor from DEFI will look like below.

Most people use a sandwich plate to accomodate both a pressure and temp sensor, the Galant/Legnum has great space around the

1694237789417.png

Top Bottom