OMG I'm in Victoria

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Out at Healesville at a mates place for an Engagement..

Went down some nice driving roads, will have to bring my VR4 down one day :D

I have no idea what the road is called, but it was nice! The main road that goes to Healesville..

Drove passed some bushfire sites, sigh, it's sad :(

It's smokey here too, making my eyes sting!

Drove around with a mate around the CBD, hook turns are retarded! I had no idea what I was doing, and didn't have a local with me LOL

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Melbourne city is always nice to drive around.
I usually drive down to Victoria a few times a year and I'll probably bring the VR-4 down there around August.

Have fun man.
Let's see if you spot any VR-4's while you're in Victoria :p

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
Hook Turns? Ahh, the way to tell a local from a visitor :)

They DO get easier with practise.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Hook turns are AWESOME.

I love messing with people's heads when they're from out of town :D

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Shame u didn't bring ur ride man :(

We could do an impromptu drive up your way tonight if your not in engagement party mode?

Let me know and we'll come say g'day.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Hook turns are required for right-hand turns in the CBD, where cars would otherwise get in the way of trams.

You want to go right, so you pull into the intersection along the left hand side when the light is green going your original direction... wait while all the cars go past on your right, feeling like you're going to get broadsided by the traffic at right angles waiting just a metre to your left... when their light goes green you pull hard right 90 degrees and get the hell out of there before they flatten you. You have to make sure nobody is trying to make a last-ditch run across the intersection in your original direction or you will get a nice surprise.

It's actually not unlike if you were a pedestrian or a bicycle and just followed the crossing lights. Except you have to use the margins of the road, not the crossing.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Hahaha often I was like WTF why don't I stay on the right to turn right, why is it "Right Turn from Left Lane Only" (took a photo of those signs haha)

I love Melbourne, we went to the shops today, and drove passed a lot of the burnt out areas, really depressing.. Saw burnt down house, shed, etc..

But it really is a nice area :) Way more dry and brown looking than what I'm used to out in country NSW.. hehe..

I'll probably be completely off my tree tonight, so I don't think you guys should bother as I'll either probably pass out in a car, or you won't be able to stand (or understand) me :p hehe..

Tomorrow I may be out towards the CBD, so I'll jump on the forums in the morning if I am and maybe I'll see some of you guys before I leave :)

Dimi, if you're driving to Melbourne, let me know and we could perhaps entourage it down here hehe..

I'm terrified of the sneaky speed cameras there apparently are though! The Ring Road has lots of unsigned cameras that I noticed, wtf?

Anyway, back to creating music playlists :)

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
technically, a cyclist should do hook turns through all intersections (and a helluva lot safer too). But for cars, it prevents you from getting in the way of trams. Hook turns only apply in the CBD :)

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
The other fun thing about sharing the roads with the trams, is when you pull up at a traffic light, with your poor interstate visitor in the driver seat... Watch their eyes go wide when they see, in their rear view mirror, a small train pull up behind them with its indicator on.

Speed Cameras on the Western Ring Road ARE all signposted, but just not perhaps in the same manner as you're used to.

All fixed speed cameras in Victoria have a sign, approximately 500 metres or more before the sign, stating "Road Safety Cameras Used In Area".

Top Bottom