On the hunt for a Legnum

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Add engine mounts to the mood list, all the cars tuned with good engine mounts gave made good power, gets rid of the false knock from an engine moving around. Traditionally the autos use more fuel and as they get older the trend will continue. People do auto to manual conversions for a reason and I don't think anyone has ever done a manual to auto conversion (although in part due to autos being cheaper).

Even the cars that don't get the high peak power figures do make great torque, on a recent tune day 2 170kw cars would have eaten a 190+kw car on the road in normal day to day driving. Good luck finding something, you should just wait a bit then buy mine ;)

deadlast

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dead
Drive
Ford Laser..
Good luck finding something, you should just wait a bit then buy mine ;)

Interesting concept, whats the details on yours?

Not overly concerned with KW figure, mainly aiming for at least the feel I had in the 200sx which was 185kw /wheels. Sure the V6 will have significantly better torque, especially lower in the rev range.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Interesting concept, whats the details on yours?

Not overly concerned with KW figure, mainly aiming for at least the feel I had in the 200sx which was 185kw /wheels. Sure the V6 will have significantly better torque, especially lower in the rev range.

replied to your pm....

Should do that, 202 on 98, 226 on e85, over 180kw on 98 from about 3800 to 6000, at the same revs is over 200 on e85, all on a mainline in 4th gear....

Fair bit heavier than a 200 though....

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
So you can still cruise at 110km+ an hour without horrific fuel economy?

Some of us manual owners have gotten into the 8L/100klm range on the highway ...

deadlast

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dead
Drive
Ford Laser..
Itching to get this car, holding off till Feb to put some more funds away. While researching I keep coming across the term "3 port" was it that?? Cheers all.

douwboy

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Joshua
Drive
2000 Legnum pearl white, manual, sunroof
3 port solenoid is used so you can boost your car without hitting your cars computer boost cut.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Not quite the case, if you couldn't change boost cut then nobody would run beyond the cut threshold...

Google 'gm 3 port'. There's a thread on evolutionm that explains. Otherwise, search on here in the group buy section for the 3 port GB we had awhile back that linked to it too.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Itching to get this car, holding off till Feb to put some more funds away. While researching I keep coming across the term "3 port" was it that?? Cheers all.

Nice timing ;)

deadlast

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dead
Drive
Ford Laser..
Missus has given me the go-ahead to start car hunting now. :)

Currently considering the following car:http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Used-Cars/AdNumber=D4020100764661.

Wife has preference for lower KMs, unfortunately not many late model manuals with low KMs around...

Got a mate buying a Legnum as well from a dealer this weekend and he has a few on the lot, the dealer is on Parramatta Road, Burwood, any recommendations on a local Legnum friendly mechanic I can get to independently check over the car before I lay down any cash?

Alternatively, any recommendations on any imports mobs in Melbourne/Sydney that can hook me up with a Legnum VR4 Type S Manual < 80,00kms.

Aiming as close to 10/12k as possible to leave extra dosh over for improvements, ie 3 Port, Front Mount, Tune (by TME, cough chough), Fuel Loop, Exhaust, Fuel Pump, Leads, Injectors, K & N Panel Filter and Evo X Bov.

Any recommendations to source these parts as well? Cheers All

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
60k on that FL you linked. Hmmm, make sure you see full service history otherwise don't believe it.

Why not just put your money together and bu Steve's. Everything is already done! Plus Recaros and brembos.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Get Meek Automotive to do the pre-purchase inspection. Probably a bit dearer than most but they are highly reputable. Check out their web site. All the best.

BFun

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
I had a look at the VR-4s Ginza had before purchasing my Legnum from Xtreme Motorsports about a month ago. The one's I heard didn't sound as healthy and we're priced MUCH dearer (about $15k) although it looks like they dropped their prices since then. The salesman seemed a little dodgy, and it all just felt a little 'off' but that might just be me. Ultimately it comes down to the individual car, so make sure you get it inspected (as others have already mentioned) if you're going to go for it.

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
You should seriously consider other members car for sale as you know they would have been maintained well..IMO dont be too concerned with kms..you would be better off getting a car from a member with 110kms with the major service done than getting a car from a dealer with <80kms and having to do everything yourself...

In regards to the parts you are after they will be easy to source..once you have you're car you'll know exactly what you need..if you do end up buying from a dealer the first thing you would want to save up for is the 100k service..A 'Full' 100k service would set you back a couple of grand including parts and labour..Also bear in mind you may have to replace the Lower Control Arms as they seem to be a common issue...

deadlast

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dead
Drive
Ford Laser..
Now considering a Galant as the manuals are easier to come by and I don't mind the look :)

Any negative to the Galant over the Legnum. Some models don't seem to have AYC / Traction Control? is this true?

Do they handle any differently, gather the Sedan is a bit lighter too?

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
True Galant Series 2 manuals only came out as a type V which means that it doesnt have AYC or TC. But this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Don't know about the handling.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
As Simon said re the AYC. Also, you don't get a hi vis dash until late 2000.

I would disagree though with manual galants being more plentiful. I think there were more Legnums made by far.

And yeah, galants are lighter and seem to handle a bit better. But their a sedan so meh :p

Top Bottom