On the hunt for a Legnum

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
check if their is a crack in the rubber underneath the fray and that would explain excess fuel usage. If its frayed its probably best to replace it anyway.

deadlast

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dead
Drive
Ford Laser..
Got the intercooler kit on these forums plus factory replacement hoses, so will do these first and see how I go.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Could be a boost leak, but a severe one will again cause it to run crap being lean under vacuum and rich on boost, sometimes really bad on cold start due to the lean problem, but if you've got hoses, swap them over and see how that goes first :)

deadlast

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dead
Drive
Ford Laser..
Update, no major boost/vacuum leaks. Got the BOV replaced, upper intercooler hoses replaced and the o2 Sensor replaced. Apparently the Air Temp Sensor sensor was reading 70degree temps, after a good clean its now registering 50degress, unsure if this is norm/high.
They are gonna reset the ecu for me before I pick it up as well. So heres hoping..

chardo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
richard
Drive
2000 type S, Manual and Recaro's
Where are you getting the work done.

deadlast

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dead
Drive
Ford Laser..
Where are you getting the work done.

Got it done at Ultimate Tunes in Philip. Any recommendations on any other workshops?

Car drives so much nicer now, barely any go pedal required to move around. Filled up the tank so see how the next tank of fuel goes.

deadlast

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dead
Drive
Ford Laser..
Power is better, unfortunately, fuel is still crap, a touch above a quarter of a tank and only done 210kms. So given what i've already fixed, what would be next on the list?

Since the ECU was reset, how long does it take for it to come out of "learning/limp" mode, do I need to do another full tank now to get a proper comparison? Cheers

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Tank isn't linear, engineers responsible were HUGE fans of peyote. Subsequently it's shaped like fugu fish hit by a train.

Srs tho, pretty sure it's sectioned to account for the prop shaft. The last quarter seems to hold the vast majority of the volume.

Replace your O2 sensor if not done so already.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
I usually get about 160km to last quarter tank till fuel light comes on so wait till the light before u get too worried bout economy u might be supprised

deadlast

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dead
Drive
Ford Laser..
300kms off 45l (fuel light) so marginal improvement. What else should I be looking at or is 15.3l/100km the norm around town..

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum
nah thats pretty bad even I get 14L and I have a pod filter sucking in hot air which cant help. dont have time to read all pages did you change o2 sensor? Cause... I just replaced mine got 12.6 L / 100km tank involved lots of spirited hills drives (100km) highway (50) the rest city. not a normal tank (mostly all city and I got 14L) O2 sensor $100 delivered.

edit: total tank was 434.3km and filled up 54.75L had fuel light on for 20km perhaps more.

deadlast

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dead
Drive
Ford Laser..
O2 sensor already done and ecu reset at the start of last tank. No boost/vacuum leaks. Leads/plugs/injector seals and fuel pump next up. Any of these noticeably effect fuel economy.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
im only getting about 300-350km per tank....52ltr fill... hmm maybe i have a lead foot?

deadlast

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dead
Drive
Ford Laser..
After swapping the AFM out with another one (Cheers by the way Brackenridgevr4)), now getting 350-370kms from 46l, so much happier with this. Car is currently in the workshop getting the following done:
Check/Clean Idle Stepper Motor
Check/Replace Throttle Positioning Sensor
Check/Replace Engine Coolant Temp Sensor
Check/Replace Knock Sensor

Boost/Vac Leak (Compressed Air)
Engine Leads
Rocker Cover Gaskets/Throttle Body Gasket/Intake Manifold Gasket and Engine Oil Top-up/Flush
Spark Plugs and Spark Plug Seals
Injector Seals
Fuel Pump (under back seat)
Fuel Filter (engine bay?)
Fuel Filter (under the fuel tank. drives side rear door under the car.)
3SX Fuel Rail Loop
Transmission Cooler (Mounted behind VR4 Emblem)
Front Mount Intercooler (With Power Steering Cooler between AC Condenser and FMIC)
Bleed Valve @ 10psi (Factory solenoid pipe needs blocking)

Apparently the front bank of Spark Plugs were horrendous and the Rocker Cover finger tight in most places, Gaskets and Injector seals were rock hard.
Dread to think what the rear bank is like..

Turbo Y pipe has a fair bit of oil it in so its suspected one of my Turbos is on the way out.. (Noticed the upper intercooler pipes were quiet oily when replaced as well). What is a second hand replacement turbo worth?? the workshop has lots of spare
parts from a Legnum they wrecked for somebody last year.

After this its Full Exhaust and Tune by Steve (i'm hoping), got the 3-Port ready to go in as well. Can't wait to see how shes goes after this recent work.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Rocker cover's supposed to be finger tight, like 3.5nm. Doesn't need to be tight if the seal isn't baked and dead ;)

deadlast

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dead
Drive
Ford Laser..
Got car back, drives very different. Rear spark plugs were more than cactus, curious to see how this affects fuel in the longrun.

Top Bottom