oxygen sensors

G

Unregistered
LC-1 Wideband O2 sensor and Air/Fuel gauge $330 from the US.
The wideband controller has a serial plug to log ratios.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Some further info - this eBay listing has the same sensor, which also has a table showing which vehicles it was designed to fit:

image removed

Here's a pic:

image removed

EDIT: Just looked up my Magna workshop manual - the V6 TR & TS do indeed have an O2 sensor very much like this, although the 4cyl is completely different.

I'm a bit confused do you mean that this will fit our cars??

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I'm a bit confused do you mean that this will fit our cars??
It appears that it will indeed - its the same sensor Mitsubishi used in the previous model Galant as well as the Magna, Pajero and Verada - the thread is the same and the connector to the wiring harness is the same. The only difference is the rubber grommet that seals the floor pan, but you can just salvage that off your original sensor.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Interestingly the part number I got from Veales isn't even a correct NGK part number - it's OZA116-M8. See here:

NGKO2Sensor.gif

G

Unregistered
just a side note......

My legnum was using silly amounts of fuel, was all ready to buy an O2 sensor, but thought bugger it ill actually test the current one.

pulled up the carpet and found the plug (PS its under the centre console, not under the carpet, well was in mine anyway, so just the passenger side centre console cover had to come off.) anyway put the multimeter onto the back of the plug and found it was going all over the place even at idle, up to a max of about .8v, running very high voltages even at light throttle/cruise, and only time it would register 0v was on overrun. So the sensor seemed to be working just fine, but just very rich/irratic.

stuck my hand round the joins of the pipework on the intercooler, and bang, oil on the right hand side join, pulled the front bar off and the IC pipe was very close to coming off, pushed it on, did it up and car drives like a dream. hopefully ill get better economy than 250km/tank when babying it!!!

so just a thought for those experiencing high fuel consumption, check and double check your cooler piping! especially the ones you cant see (all you lazy ones :) )

cheers, bart

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hey fellas.... anyone heard of PLX SM-AFR?

seems like alot of CVR4 members vouch for it over Innovate's LC-1..

seems priced correctly and does auto calibration?!?

ebay link - PLX SM-AFR

smafr.jpg

G

Unregistered
hey fellas.... anyone heard of PLX SM-AFR?

seems like alot of CVR4 members vouch for it over Innovate's LC-1..

seems priced correctly and does auto calibration?!?

ebay link - PLX SM-AFR

smafr.jpg

My local tuner-shop changed from Innovate to PLX and they say those PLX last much longer in full day dyno use.
I don't know how big difference it's in normal use but atleast in their use it's working better than Innovate.

I have been looking that PLX SM-AFR and maybe DM5 or DM100 with it.
Would EvoScan understand this PLX?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
my question now is.. do we need to configure this when we first put it on? or will it self-calibrate like it says on the website..

also how do we connect this to the ecu/datalogger?!

G

Unregistered
I switched from an LC-1 to that exact unit. Comments are that it's easier to wire in (Power, ground and narrowband output to the ECU and that's it), and yes, the self-calibration seems to work fine - All I did was fit it, power up and leave it for a minute before starting the engine for the first time - and since then all has been well and the narroband output keeps the ECU happy.

Interestingly, one of the tuning shops in the UK that posts on CVR4 has said the same as Lari above - They recommend PLX and have also said that the PLX seems more durable.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Does anyone know the part number for the $35 repco O2 sensor? or for which make and model it is for? Ta

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
NGK part number is OZA116-M8
Normal price is ~$135 - it is only the "run out" stock that is $35 and these are getting few and far between.

G

Unregistered
I switched from an LC-1 to that exact unit. Comments are that it's easier to wire in (Power, ground and narrowband output to the ECU and that's it), and yes, the self-calibration seems to work fine - All I did was fit it, power up and leave it for a minute before starting the engine for the first time - and since then all has been well and the narroband output keeps the ECU happy.

Interestingly, one of the tuning shops in the UK that posts on CVR4 has said the same as Lari above - They recommend PLX and have also said that the PLX seems more durable.

If your LC-1 was working why did u change over ?? Or did u have problems ?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
If your LC-1 was working why did u change over ?? Or did u have problems ?
He posted details earlier in the thread here Paul :)

I fitted an innovate LC-1. And it never worked properly. They are really fussy about earthing - Any slight earthing issue and it throws the readings out. Couple this with "Backup" from Innovate that's along the lines of "Our products are all PERFECT and it must be your installation!" (That's my interpretation anyway - check their forums!) And you have a pretty rubbish product IMHO.

Ironically, the reason I've got to change my LC-1 is because of a genuine fault! Earlier this year they produced faulty batch where every time you power cycle the device, it looses all calibration data- And the place I bought it from has gone under!:mad:

So yeah, I've ordered a PLX instead.

G

Unregistered
Cheers Trev ... I'm at work trying to read quickly ... lol

I think the majory of issues seem to be with the earthing and people not calibrating them properly. Unfortunate that u got a bad batch, these things happen with a Mass produced product. i don't know anyone in Perth who is having problems with them.

Can I just add that looking on support forums when buying a product can be helpful, but also detremental. I mean u don't go to a hospital to look at what problems people are having before you move house to a new suburb. I guess what I'm saying is that no product is perfect and the LC-1 is used massively throughout the world.

The PLX does sound like a great product, is it simular pricing ?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Ok then, my brand new $35 NGK O2 sensor fitted and all without a glitch, not sure if it is the placebo effect but car seems more responsive, a little quicker and smoother?? But i spose my next full tank of juice will let me know for sure!

Top Bottom