How to check oxygen sensor? strange exhaust smell?

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
Hi there, I have an 02 Galant (only 98,000 Kms), runs very well, all stock, but only getting 6.7 Kms / litre just plain commuting. I did happen to smell exhaust when unloading boot this morning with engine running, and it smelt strange, not quite rotten eggs, but a little stinky, or different to "normal" exhaust gas smell I thought. Is it possibly a faulty o2 sensor? and is there a way to test before replacement? Is anyone still selling them, in case I can confirm its faulty? Just hoping to tap into the group's experience here - thanks.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Weird exhaust smell could be a dead cat Convertor

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
They're about$110-120. Just replace it they tend to only last around 80000km you'll see straight awY if it was the culprit

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
They're about$110-120. Just replace it they tend to only last around 80000km you'll see straight awY if it was the culprit
Thanks for that - do you know who sells them?

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
Hi, thanks for that; even for the cat, there must be tests that prove if something is defective -I've made the mistake before by replacing things to find a fault, instead of diagnosing it. My car is stock, so I don't know if this one would work for us, because it's 3 inches? I thought that was the size people go to to improve performance not sure what ours is? Cheers

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
Hi, thanks for that; even for the cat, there must be tests that prove if something is defective -I've made the mistake before by replacing things to find a fault, instead of diagnosing it. My car is stock, so I don't know if this one would work for us, because it's 3 inches? I thought that was the size people go to to improve performance not sure what ours is? Cheers
Have you taken your cat off and seen how it looks?

Top Bottom