QLD Pretzil aka Rick // Brisbane - QLD

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Headed out to the drags for the first time ever yesterday (that wasn't rained out before I got a run). Ran 14.140 best time. But was consistently in the 14.2s when I didn't stuff up any shifts (yes, can be done in an auto).

Best part of the day was chopping a V8 SS commodore :D, even if I had no chance against the GTR skylines and Evos.

Went with a club so got unlimited runs for 2hrs, then got to stick around for test and tune at night, just counted 11 timeslips out of my glovebox, not counting the ones i never bothered to get lol.

Gearbox survived multiple launches but brakes let it start rolling at anything over 2k rpm lol.

Drags.png

Ignore the R/T, was chasing best 1/4 mile time so I sat around getting ready.
IMG_20140920_230037_zpscpsmoqd9.jpg

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
So this is without a tune, and what boost. This is very interesting as a couple of guys in my team at work have V8's, one an SS and the other an xr8. The xr8 has some work while the SS is stock but the SS did a 13.8 at best. They want to run me but I said they would kill me but by the sounds of your time maybe not.:)

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Very slow off the mark, was my last run of the night and I was next to a full on muscle car, had no chance so I let him do his own thing and took my time. Which paid off with my best time of the night.

I'm only running about 0.8Bar of boost, which spikes to 1Bar before leveling out.
If I run any more I hit boost cut. In fact, I went to overtake some slow idiot in a Mitsubishi 380 (Hai BJ!) on the way home last night and hit boost cut due to cruising so long with cold night air flowing over the intercooler.

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
2010 50cc Scooter - Daily
Drag race n00b here: But I assume they don't start timing your run until you launch? IE you wouldn't have actually done an 11sec pass if you cut 3 secs out of your reaction, right?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Lol, nah, you can sit there as long as you want, won't affect your 1/4 mile time.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Yeah, was good to finally meet you considering I see your car so often. I will run against you as soon as I have an e85 tune and no boost cut :D

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Looking back at my videos from Saturday, starting to wonder if maybe I should have been shifting later... And why the hell my 2.5" to 2.75" turbo back exhaust sounds like a tired kitten...

EDIT: Fixed. Firefox won't let me save video setting changes in YouTube, had to switch to Chrome for some stupid reason

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Will come back and update all the mods recently done to the car, brembos, strut brace, under bracing, swaybars etc.

But last week I fitted a newer automatic gearbox, and tonight I went back to the strip tonight, only 1 run and set a new PB.

PB.jpg

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
About a month ago I fitted some front Brembos:
11650605_10207226225993728_749641277_n.jpg

2 Weeks ago the car was taken off the road for 6 days for a gearbox swap.
I took 4 days off work for a 6 day weekend which lined up with a mate being back from his mine site rotation.
I upgraded from an automatic box, to a slightly newer automatic box.
Which of course meant engine out. Basically the same process as replacing a clutch on a manual VR4.

I also added a few of the bits I have had in my shed for way too long.

24mm Front Cusco Swaybar:

IMG_20150815_133957_zpsthfrnldq.jpg

Cusco lower subframe brace:
(Ignore the yellow paint, I like to think it is a bit of JDM history, but it also could be because some idiot from ipswich ran over a paint tin at some stage...)
IMG_20150815_133944_zpsg8btwif7.jpg

A few days before the shutdown I added the rear strutbrace:
IMG_20150722_204135_zpsidvqpk0h.jpg

Replaced a CV joint and boot we found was 'on its way out':
IMG_20150804_114538_zpsmubv2srv.jpg

ATF Thermostat:
IMG_20150804_145848_zpsy5pxddmi.jpg

I also replaced every single coolant hose finally (I bought them after a blowout at QR...)
And bumped the radiator cap up to 18PSI.

Top Bottom