Q: Facelift Legnum rearlights E-approved???

G

Unregistered
Hi, all

I am wondering if those Facelift Legnum rearlights are E-approved?
Could someone with facelift please check that. Photo would be nice.
Because I would like to import one to Finland and every VR-4 I know in Finland is pre-facelifts.

G

Unregistered
It's approval of European Commission (EC)

Any lens need an E-approval stamp moulded into the plastic/ glass (it's a capital-E in a circle followed by some numbers).

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
It's approval of European Commission (EC)

Any lens need an E-approval stamp moulded into the plastic/ glass (it's a capital-E in a circle followed by some numbers).

Had a look for you. There is no E mark. I am familiar with the mark you mean.It says on the back Koito 53-08305 JAPAN L or R depending on which side you look at, left or right. Definitely no E mark.

In England to get a grey import road legal without a "model report" which the Legnum does not have, it needs to be over 10 years old. Only a few facelifts are that old now. I'd guess that something similar might be happening in Finland, especially if the legnums you see are coming via England.

G

Unregistered
Thanks for information Robotnik123.

Most if not all legnums are japan imports in Finland.

In Finland there is no such 10 year rule but I have heard that it might be possible to get those passed with special permission. But not for sure.

That's why I might start looking those pre-facelifts instead of facelift.

I have seen one sale add in Finland where is 1998 legnum with older tailsection. Don't know reason but might be this light question?
http://www.nettiauto.com/1830511
http://www.shogunpower.fi/stock/s102/s102.html

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Well I am in New Zealand, but from many years hanging out on www.clubvr4.co.uk I know that the UK new facelift galant estate (ie. Legnum) had a facelift front, but pre-facelift rear just like the car in your link. My understanding is that the facelift legnum rear was never approved due to pedestrian safety considerations - it is too pointy and might skewer a person! Not having E-mark lights may also be a consideration. Anyway a prefacelift rear easily bolts onto a facelift legnum and you ought to be able to find one cheap enough if necessary. If you cannot find it locally, you can find 2nd hand dealers in the UK, New Zealand or Japan who will be able to supply a prefacelift rear easily enough. I do not actually know if Japanese pre-facelifts have an E-mark lights - you will need to ask elsewhere for that, though one assumes that they must.

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
For future reference if you decide to get a Legnum, the number one Mitsubishi used spare parts place in New Zealand is called Kempys - www.kempys.co.nz. Shipping might be a bit expensive, but they will have what you need. Also on clubvr4.co.uk a member called Zedy1 is also apparently a very good spare parts supplier.

G

Unregistered
Those pre-facelift rearlights are approved.
Also I need to change the frontlights from european car because we drive other side of road.

There might be idea for changing rearend to facelift but we will see.

I think I begin with pre-facelift and maybe later buy facelift model with all THE accesories I want. When I get things sorted moneywise.

Have to check that site.

Thanks again robo

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Those pre-facelift rearlights are approved.
Also I need to change the frontlights from european car because we drive other side of road.

There might be idea for changing rearend to facelift but we will see.

I think I begin with pre-facelift and maybe later buy facelift model with all THE accesories I want. When I get things sorted moneywise.

Have to check that site.

Thanks again robo

Yes, I think pre-facelifts are OK and were I to buy another VR-4 it would be a pre-facelift. They often come with Active Stability Control (ASC) and Traction Control (TCL) as standard when facelifts never seem to have have these. I really wish I had ASC and TCL! The only downside is the automatic transmission pre-facelifts are only 260PS vs 280PS for facelifts, but I don't suppose that is too much of a downside really.

G

Unregistered
And that missing 20hp are gained fast when doing those mods I planned.

3" exhaust, ebc, afc, fuelpump upgrade for starters.

Should come Tein suspension and probaply brembos.

And every VR-4 badges off and putting some 1.8 badges instead.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
traction control is useless in a VR-4, how many times have you actually lost traction Jan?

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
traction control is useless in a VR-4, how many times have you actually lost traction Jan?

Well one time last year, rounding a hair pin bend I flew off the road and nearly into the ditch. I have crappy tyres though, not like your fancy pants Eagle F1 GS-D3s! :)

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Admittedly most of the time it is very hard to lose traction even with budget tyres. In the past driving RWD BMWs I found myself spinning out a lot more often, but that may also come from being a boyracer. Although DSC did not seem to save me back then as I recall.

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
Getting back to the topic... I tried to take a photo of what could be the markings that you are after, but I couldn't get a clear picture.

There is a circle with 2 lines through it... not quite an E within a circle.

So it is similar to this:
O R-1828

I doubt that this is what you require, but thought I would post it anyway

G

Unregistered
I think that isn't what I need and now I have bid on one 97 legnum.
I am going to buy pre-facelift first and maybe later change to facelift when there is someone first managed to get one registered in Finland.

G

Unregistered
I found too good facelift to skip and won auction yesterday.
Now I have paid several hundredthousand of yens for few pics but maybe someday I can drive with Legnum in those pics.

2000 56tkm grade 4.5BA and lots of mods.

I will propably need to change those rearlights, trunkdoor and bumber from Finnish Galant STW I already found wrecking yard 450€. After that nothing says Legnum outside and I can leave those 2.0L marks behind.

Other option is try to get special permission for those lights which isn't sure and permit costs 350€.

Will post pics when I get more of those.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Sounds great Lari, well done! Personally I think you should try to go for that permit - the facelift lights look heaps better than the series 1. I honestly can't see how they could have a problem with them - they're not too bright nor too dull and the plastic doesn't discolour.

Anyway, see how you go, car sounds great from your description!

G

Unregistered
Havent got more pics or info yet but here is just what it says in auction sheet.

Directly purchased from end user, One Owner Car, Genuine Aero Parts,
Momo Steering wheel, Non Genuine Exhaust & Car Height Adjuster & Air Cleaner, Non Genuine Intercooler & Many other Non Genuine Parts Needs to be Inspected, Recycle Ticket Exist, Non Genuine Additional Meter & Piping,
Right Step Beated & Painted Marks, Right Front Pillar Paint Mark, Small Scratch & Small Dent

Maybe someone will try that special permit before my car comes to Finland.
I'm not so keen to try that 350€ for that permit and if that doesn't go put some more and change those what needed.

Top Bottom