Radiator coolant- (whats the best to use)

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR4, Subaru B4 Legacy RS30
I had head from the shop where i purchase my Tectaloy Performance 100 that because we have turbo cars we need a product that has a higher gycol mix than what the basic cheap premix coolants have. This is because the turbos tend to boil the water component due to the operating temps inside them. The better products are supposed to have a higher boiling point making them more suitable for our cars.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Think i'm going to give Nulon green a shot when I replace the radiator...

My reading about tectaloy turns up some horror stories, sure there were generally other factors relating to car maintenance possibly involved but I'd rather not test the theory on my pride and joy.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
^ Yep that stuff is what I bought this morning. :)

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
I got told to run it at 50/50 due to it getting acidic under 33% which will eat the ali in the golphers.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
Heard similar about running the red stuff in older style brass/copper units... just so happens my Koyorad is copper hence why I ruled it out.

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
I havnt put the Tectaloy in my system yet :tongue_smilie: What horror stories did you hear. I am not keen to add it to the new system if its going to cause issues. I will just take it back and swap it for something else if that's the case.

Think i'm going to give Nulon green a shot when I replace the radiator...

My reading about tectaloy turns up some horror stories, sure there were generally other factors relating to car maintenance possibly involved but I'd rather not test the theory on my pride and joy.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
Just some stray current related corrosion / pitting type issues...

I think tectaloy do a red now with corrosion inhibbitor...

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
I have been doing quite a bit of reading about the coolants tonight and yes some people said that it damaged the pump and system with corrosion. From what I can tell its to do with the mixes of alloys that are in the engine that react with the glycol and other agents in the coolants that end up causing the corrosion. Its seems that the most safe option is to buy OEM coolant as its a mix that's designed for the alloys used in our cars engines.

I think I will just return my unused coolant and go to Mitsi tomorrow and buy some OEM stuff. I could see looking at the cans pipes and other areas that in the past it has corroded a bit around the spigots where the hoses fit onto them. I would prefer to have piece of mind when its comes to that sort of thing.

Just some stray current related corrosion / pitting type issues...

I think tectaloy do a red now with corrosion inhibbitor...

Top Bottom