Radiator Upgrade

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Just FYI guys buying rads.

The Winner Racing Radiators off Ebay require trimming of the fan shroud in order to fit, and one of my fan mounting holes was also misaligned. meaning I am now running 7 bolts, not 8. I also had to trim some of the plastic tabs of the back of my headlights.

mine is also a little wonky, so the right side is taller than the left by a couple of mm, plus the extra height makes the bonnet a little harder to close.

You mean even the 42mm one needs all that work? Damn...

G

Unregistered
So I just picked up a Golpher off an importer in Greenacre for $290. Found it on Ebay and asked for a direct contact. Nice guy, and a year wnty. At least I have someone to shoot IF something goes wrong ;) Wish me luck putting it in...

*Update*
Bit of a squeeze with the fans but eventually got it in. AND at least everything lined up nicely. OEM air intake sits a few ml higher but the original clips still work and no trouble closing the bonnet.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MITSUBIS...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f274fa31e

PS. Anyone needs one, 02 9709 8883, 53 Rosedale Ave, Greenacre
thats where i got mine from they even chucked in some free hose clamps for my intercooler

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
I just replaced my Golpher 40mm with a Koyorad standard replacement.

The Golpher started leaking where the core meets the plates in two spots. Took 3-4 years but it happened.

Koyorad was $220 from Edwardstown Radiators via AdRad.

Anyone want to buy a leaking golpher? Told it would be $100 to fix the hole but they gave no guarantee that it wouldn't leak from there or somewhere else. Though they said it could also last years...
I'm tossing up between these 2 options. The standard replacement is just that and the top could crack again. Where the Golpher is a bit of an upgrade. What are people's thoughts?

G

Unregistered
i like my golpher. had no problems. and straight install

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
if going with thicker radiator, match it with high flow fans as well.. I think you can easily use 2x 14" in there?

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
I'm tossing up between these 2 options. The standard replacement is just that and the top could crack again. Where the Golpher is a bit of an upgrade. What are people's thoughts?

You have to remember though that our cars are at a minimum, 12 years old. How many have only just cracked the top tank? My '01 model cracked the tank probably 3 years ago. So that's a 10 year life. My Golpher only lasted 3 years before failing, and there were no track days or anything other than some standard Australian 44 degree days with the aircon on while in traffic.

I dare say though that if you were to fork out for a PWR radiator I doubt that it'd fail like a $300 Chinese made unit will.

Food for thought.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Agreed. If I was serious I'd get A.R.E to make me a twin pass, then there'd be zero chance of it failing.
Come to think of it, I might contact Richard and get a quote...

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
I'll be interested if you get pricing. I'm currently looking at (another) Koyo type R copper rad at around $500 before shipping from Japan but would prefer aluminium for lighter weight. Koyo alu rads are a bit expensive.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
You have to remember though that our cars are at a minimum, 12 years old. How many have only just cracked the top tank? My '01 model cracked the tank probably 3 years ago. So that's a 10 year life. My Golpher only lasted 3 years before failing, and there were no track days or anything other than some standard Australian 44 degree days with the aircon on while in traffic.

I dare say though that if you were to fork out for a PWR radiator I doubt that it'd fail like a $300 Chinese made unit will.

Food for thought.
I ended up getting the Golpher with the recommendation from Jon. You said yours failed after 3 years. I guess I'm being a bit optimistic hoping that the quality has improved in the last 3 years. Plus plenty of people on here have them without any problems, yet. I guess time will tell.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Your body parts are cheap...

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
My
I ended up getting the Golpher with the recommendation from Jon. You said yours failed after 3 years. I guess I'm being a bit optimistic hoping that the quality has improved in the last 3 years. Plus plenty of people on here have them without any problems, yet. I guess time will tell.
My first Golfer failed too after around 3 years. I bought another but considering getting an ARE twin pass made. Won't be cheap but will be bullet proof. I have one on my track car.

Top Bottom