Rake and a weird coilover lowering observation

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
I have done a fair bit of looking into aerodynamics lately, having a higher rear end than front end actually uses the pressure differential under your car to suck it to the road as the air gets pulled back.

The lower the front and higher the back the more suction.

Its an often dismissed part of aerodynamics

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
It is a trade off against a higher centre of balance though, a lower car (especially at the front, due to the extra weight) will have less body roll, camber is useful as it flattens your wheels doring body roll (ie in a corner) squatness.... Ie lowness all around is good because of the reduction in body roll

Shamwow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
Commodore (dont hate, its for work) & MY16 WRX Premium
It looks like it might be more of an issue with coil-overs than springs, As my rears tuck wayyyy more than my fronts. The camber on the back is pretty big though

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
The biggest issue I have gotten with rake is getting enough without sacrificing the up-travel in the rear. this causes issues in corners where the surface is uneven or hard cornering where it will try and lift inside wheel rather than keeping it planted.

Another thing to think about is that while rake does have an effect of suction, that is only if the air flow is kept from getting too turbulent and stopped from entering the sides. In an otherwise stock VR-4, any improvement is unlikely to be sufficient to make up for the handling trade offs when cornering.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
I've got my coilovers a bit higher at the back due to ground clearance for the rear exhaust flange. I'm getting my coilovers engineered & through regency, and require 100mm ground clearance.

Top Bottom