Ralliart tuned Auto Tranny...

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone here has driven in both a Super VR-4 and a normal VR-4 and noticed if the gear changes in the Super were harder and faster? I'm keen to find out more about the Ralliart tuned auto tranny's but can't find bugger all on CVR4 or here... that's if in fact the Supers do have a ralliart tuned tranny.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Ask "Just Plain Nuts"

G

Unregistered
been trying to figure that out myself. The seller told me about it but he does not know either , he has a friend who knows a lot about vr4s who does his buying for him, he is the one that said that ??

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
I really think the reason you cannot find any information on a Ralliart tuned auto is because there is no such thing.

The differences between a Super VR4 and a standard prefacelift VR4 Legnum are purely cosmetic - with the exception of the exhaust.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
been trying to figure that out myself. The seller told me about it but he does not know either , he has a friend who knows a lot about vr4s who does his buying for him, he is the one that said that ??

That's what I've been wondering if it was just a salesman pitch. Keen to find out also from Mitchy and Gavin's experiences.

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
super vr4 = auto prefacelift with fancy spoilers, exhaust and red carpet and momo wheel etc. they run the same drive train and have the lower power ecu, due to being a pre facelift auto

G

Unregistered
The exhaust is just the muffler ... I read on the jap ralliiart site that the muffler gives 5hp gains ... LOL

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Ok then, my curiosity is satisfied. Thanks for the input guys.

Mods could you please close this thread, ta.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
David got it 100% right, they are detuned to 260hp, and are just a normal prefacelift auto mechanically.

I also know of a super VR-4 that only made 130kw atw and the gearbox died. Still that owner was a complete ****ing moron

G

Unregistered
Brad I would think the ECU is actually less than that ... as the Muffler is supposed to add 5hp ... interesting ...

G

Unregistered
I chased up the seller of my car and he emailed me what his buyer emailed him about it, doesnt really say too much detail.

> Super VR-4 is a limited run or 800 but have seen one figure
> quoted at 5000.
> Every one I have seen so far is Silver. They were made in
> 1998 and are all series 1 cars. All series 1 cars with
> automatic are rated at 260ps (190kw) and manuals are rated
> at 280ps (206kw). All series 2 (late 1998) onwards are rated
> at 206kw regardless of gearbox.
> The Super VR-4 gearbox has been reconfigured by Ralliart to
> be more responsive than a standard box. The suspension has
> also been modified. They have red carpet, red Momo leather
> steering wheel, handbrake handle and gear-leaver handle.
> They do not normally have roof rails and I have not seen one
> yet that has a sunroof. They normally have the standard body
> with a factory black spoiler kit.
> Also the 'Legnum' strip across that tailgate is
> usually chrome on a Super VR-4, as far as I know.
> They also have Recaro seats (front). There was also a few
> Tommy Makinen edition cars.
>
> Of course a standard car could also be ordered with the
> Recaro seats and Momo wheel. I think the red carpet is the
> main tell-tail.
>
> The research I have done so far indicates that the auto
> gearbox will fail if not serviced regularly. If you see the
> gearbox oil has fine metallic grit in it then the box is
> done. The manual box is said to be good but I have had to
> replace my own manual box so I don't really put much faith
> in that.

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
even if that was true about the ralliart trans your one would be std because i would imagine that if they did tinker with it it was in the TCM, which you have swapped for a facelift one

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
It's really hard to know what to believe especially the statement about the Tommi Makinen edition VR-4; but by the same token 1998 was around the time the EVO 6.5 TME was manufactured.

Oh man that would be a sweet thing getting a hold of a TME VR-4 if they do at all exist!!!:drool:

Still I want Mitchy and Buzzpuppy to tell their experience of being in both types of VR-4. I know about the power specs etc of the different models, not that a more finely tuned tranny would increase power; that's not what I'm after. I'm after quicker and harder gear changes!!

G

Unregistered
I have a feeling that all the supers have the facelift tcm and I think they were all made at once at the very end of the prefacelift era because murph looked it up and both our supers were made on the same day and they both have the new tcm???

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
yea never heard of a TME vr-4...well except for bradc's purple one, thats the closest coz he put TME evo seats in it!!!

think about this thread logically...why would they make a TME vr-4? his rally car was a evo 6....

why would they make a limited run of "special" transmissions? mitsi are a massive company making alot of units per day. all car companies go for the cheapest option. for example the new mazda6. all models have a steering position sensor for the DSC. however only the high spec cars actually use the sensor. why have the sensor in all the cars?? its built into the comboswitch for the lights and its just cheaper to make them all with the sensor than to make 2 different sorts.

so why would they make a limited run of transmissions???? if there was to be any difference it would be in the programming of the ECU. but personally id rather have the extra 20hp!!!

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
dont get me wrong, you could be right, it just seems illogical!

bradc will prob know more on this...

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Well, it's hard to notice the difference if I haven't driven another VR-4 you know. This is all news to me... but DAMN the Supers are pretty :D

Top Bottom