Rear Vision Mirror Rattle

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Reviving an old thread... was there ever a more permanent fix found to this problem?
Mine rattles occasionally whilst driving about without the stereo on currently :(

I've used the cardboard insulation method for now, so far so good.

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Current: Legnum, Datsun 260z x 3
Past: 180sx, gti-r sold R32 GTS4, 1972 Restored Celica
Cheap soliution.
Had the same problem, i cut out a tiny & thin piece of black card board and stuck it behind - it worked a treat and did not cost me nothing, plus you cant see it. Ill take a pic if needed with some white card board if you cant figure it out.

Let me know

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Yeah, I gave up on this. Mine flex's the front window so it just shakes around anyways lol.....

G

Unregistered
You could carefully smear a bit of clear silicone around the edge of the glass and wipe off any excess.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Mine starts to rattle at a certain volume. I either turn it down a bit, or up to over power the rattling noise.

I've also consider jamming bits of cardboard in the gaps.

I like my music clear and in good quality :)
Having a sub doesn't subtract from audio clarity, it produces frequencies which cant be reproduced by regular speakers. No sub = lesser quality music.

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
Sounds like the same issue as on the Magna's (well at least TJ's), as I have already fixed my wifes car. Remove the rear view mirror from the windscreen by inserting a wide fat blade (like a spatula/common screwdriver) at the bottom of the mirror stalk (you can see the cutout), and push the mirror up. When you get it right, it will slide up and off. It is only held by spring tension.
Once the mirror is off, you should find that the rivets holding the spring to the mirror stalk are loose. My fix for this was epoxy resin....
Reinstall in reverse order, and no more rattles.

Top Bottom