Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Current: Legnum, Datsun 260z x 3
Past: 180sx, gti-r sold R32 GTS4, 1972 Restored Celica
Just thought i post this up as some people might not heard

Questions and answers

Why is LTSA ordering these vehicles off the road now?

The action follows the LTSA receiving new information from Mitsubishi Motors New Zealand highlighting the potentially dangerous nature of the brake defect.
How many vehicles are affected by the fault and what type are they?

There are 343 1996/97 Mitsubishi Galant and Legnum VR4 vehicles affected in New Zealand. These have automatic transmission and have been fitted with the ‘automatic stability control option’.
What exactly is the problem with the brakes on these models?

The fault can result in leaking nitrogen causing the brakes of the vehicle to become spongy, which in some cases may lead to brake failure.
Have there been any accidents as a result of the fault?

While the LTSA is not aware of any injury crashes, we have been informed of several incidents of brake deterioration and one complete failure in New Zealand.
When will replacement parts be available?

Mitsubishi has advised the parts will be available in approximately six to nine weeks.
Who will be paying for my vehicle to be fixed?

Unfortunately the LTSA cannot assist with matters such as legal advice or provision of parts or services – these issues are between the owner and the vendor (the person or organisation from which you purchased the vehicle).
Will I get any compensation for my vehicle being off the road?

Unfortunately the LTSA cannot assist with matters such as legal advice or provision of parts or services – these issues are between the owner and the vendor (the person or organisation from which you purchased the vehicle).
What will happen if I ignore this advice and continue driving?

Should you ignore this advice and continue to drive the vehicle(s) specified in this notice, you may be in breach of section 6(1) Land Transport Act 1998 which states that a person may not operate an unsafe motor vehicle on a road.
Contravention of section 6(1) is an offence under s. 34(1)(a) and carries a maximum penalty on conviction of a fine not exceeding $2,000.
How will this be enforced?

The Police have been advised of all vehicles affected by this braking fault and if they are found driving on the road after owners have received notification, the driver could be charged with operating an unsafe motor vehicle (as above).
Once the parts have been replaced, will I need to get a new Warrant of Fitness straight away?

No, as long as the parts have been replaced, your Warrant of Fitness will remain valid until its expiry date.

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/vehicles/alerts/galant-qa.html

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
This was done some time ago, back in early 2004. All cars in Japan should have been done too, I highly doubt anyone here would have an affected car

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Current: Legnum, Datsun 260z x 3
Past: 180sx, gti-r sold R32 GTS4, 1972 Restored Celica
ya with just over 300 cars in total and its highly unlikely but some people might have bought they car after 2004-5 thus might not heard about this.

Better safe than sorry.

Mines 1998 so im safe :)

Cheers
Tomas

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
Just out of interest does anyone know which "G" sticker this would be? "G" Number?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Just to clarify, this only affects Autos with ASC and TCL. Not sure what the G mark number is, but Kieran could probably tell you.

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
Yeah well it won't affect me then, I don't have those things to take the fun away.

Top Bottom