Replacing Lifters- What is needed?

MorleyVR-4

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4
Hey all...

Many of us have this problem from what I've read... ticking lifters!!!

I'm going to replace mine and from what I read on here Meek have a good set?

Would like to know what else needs to be replaced at the same time?

I'm assuming- timing belt kit, rocker cover gaskets... but assumption is the relative of all mistakes.

If anyone could tell me exactly what else will need to be replaced at the same time, that would be fantastic!
As I would rather not get half way through and realise I forgot something.

Cheers,

Matt

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
What mileage has your car done? When were the belts and pulleys, spark plugs, holes and seals changed? Has the 100k service been done?

MorleyVR-4

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Matt
Drive
It's done 110k, It did get a service at 103k, but had the timing belt replaced by my uncle when he owned the car at around 90k.

Owing to the fact that my uncle has passed away since and left me the car, that's pretty much all I can tell you as I that's all I know.

MorleyVR-4

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Matt
Drive
It's having a service done as we speak, not overly concerned if I have to replace oils again when I do the lifters .

BFun

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
Spark plug seals and rocker cover gaskets would be a good idea since you're taking the rocker covers off anyway, but you don't need to touch the timing belt, especially if you know if it's been done recently.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
rocker cover gaskets, spark tube gaskets, inlet plenum gasket, new lifters should about all parts u need. And a bit of oil to prime the lifters before putting them in. Cams dont need to be removed to do it so no need timing belt since it was done 20k ago

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Be sure to seal the rear rocker gasket well and don't let it 'roll' under itself

VR4legnum98

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Horacio
Drive
VR4 legnum
While we are on the subject of changing the lifters , do they need to be primed before putting them in ?
Some places I have read that there is no need to but in some others say that you do .... so please can someone guide me down the right path .
Have already done the work of replacing them and Now I'm dreading the fact that I might have to pull it all apart again just to prime them ....and also will I need new washers for the rocker cover considering that I have already changed gaskets and washers ????
any advise will be appreciated or other solutions as I'm running out of time and I'm not to sure what to do .....

thanks you my Vr4 brothers

VR4legnum98

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Horacio
Drive
VR4 legnum
I got them from TME , Steve, sorry about the late reply , had visitors come and I was the cook for the evening .....

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I got them from TME , Steve, sorry about the late reply , had visitors come and I was the cook for the evening .....
If you're concerned about it, just unclip the crank and cam position sensors, they are two together located just Underneath the rear intercooler piping above the rear bank inlet cam. Held in by a 12mm bolt.
Unclip both of these and crank your engine for around 10 seconds. That will get oil pressure up and It'll be fine from there. Reconnect the sensors and away you go ;)

VR4legnum98

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Horacio
Drive
VR4 legnum
Hey Simon ... thank you so much brother , I changed all of them an put everything back together. Someone from work asked me if I had primed the lifters before fitting them and I'm sure that Steve's lifters can be replaced and no need to prime them.
So I got concerned whether I did the job right.... Also should I do an Oil change ?

Very grateful for your help Simon , you are a Legend ...Thank you .

Top Bottom