Replacing my 'air bag' seats with 'non airbag' seats

CoolBreeze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
1996 Galant VR-4
Hello,

I'm looking at installing a complete leather interior from a donor legnum to replace my standard interior in the galant.
Problem is I have seat/side airbags currently, the donor interior unfortunately does not.
I understand there are some plug & pin differences on the airbag ECU for cars with and without side airbags.
Has anyone had experience with this change over?

Is there a way to trick the ecu into thinking the side airbags are still connected so i can remove the seats? I don't want the 'airbag deployed' or some such light on the dash coming on.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
I'm pretty sure you need a srs bypass or srs emulator. You can find them on ebay.

Just get the right kinda plug I guess.

I have one with my steering wheel, works great. The seats must be the same deal

CoolBreeze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
1996 Galant VR-4
Thanks Damian, I'll just do that I suppose.

Do you know what value resistor would be required?
Also, if an airbag fault is logged, as in if I disconnect the airbag and turn the car on will the fault/light extinguish once reconnected or would it stay on permanently requiring a scanner to clear it?

CoolBreeze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
1996 Galant VR-4
3 Ohm according to ClubVR4 Dice!
Thanks for the link.
So either the resistor method or replace the SRS ecu it seems.......decisions

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
I read that you neet MUTII as evoscan or battery reset will not clear the code. I'm surprised evoscan can't clear it though.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
The galant has side airbags???

CoolBreeze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
1996 Galant VR-4
Was a fairly rare option. Like the factory sub, amp and cd changer. Wouldnt have been cheap in '96 I'm guessing.

CoolBreeze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
1996 Galant VR-4
For future people searching the forum for this.
I removed the SRS connector male plugs from each front seat and soldered a 3 Ohm metal film 1 watt resistor in between + and - wires and plugged back into the female connector on the floor.
Ensure to completely insulate, wrap and secure the new loop/bypass.
Ensure battery is disconnected with a door open for 60 seconds before touching anything.

I made an enquiry regarding this to my insurance as I was concerned it could be detrimental in legal proceedings in the event of serious accident or injury (aftering a safety system).
I was told the galant / leggy is approved for Aus compliance with and without side airbags, so would make no difference if a vehicle had them fitted or not for insurance purposes providing the manufacturers standard SRS system is still fully functional ie, driver and front passenger.

Top Bottom