Lifetime Member
First Name
Nick
Drive
'96 Galant VR4 - 300kW
'19 Kia Stinger GT
'95 R33 Skyline
Hey guys,

So I replaced my lifters on the weekend. After putting it all back together and starting it, it made a lot of noise, which I assumed was fine, however even after 30 mins it didn't seem to stop and I was running pretty rich.

I checked pipes and my plugs etc but found that when listened, the noise was only coming from the back 3 cylinders, so I took the cover back off and found 2 of the rocker arms just laying in the top. and the 2 corresponding spark plugs smelt of fuel.

So I put them back on and started the car again and the noise was still there. Opened it back up and only 1 rocker arm was off this time. (one of the ones that was off in the first place). So I put that one back on, made sure it was straight, turned the engine by hand and made sure it worked and put everything back together again. Started the car.. and same noise + still running weird.

How is this thing coming off like this? Am I doing something wrong?

sidewayswizzard

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Justin
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4 96 Legnum VR-4
Did you seat both ends correctly? you should have felt it lock pretty well on the valve spring, I always double check it won't unseat before slipping it over the lifter. I've done hundreds and it's never happened to me. The fact it's happening on the rear bank which can be a pig to do makes me think they weren't seated right. Any damage to the cam lobes or anything else?

crazynick505

Doing mad Helis
Lifetime Member
First Name
Nick
Drive
'96 Galant VR4 - 300kW
'19 Kia Stinger GT
'95 R33 Skyline
Did you seat both ends correctly? you should have felt it lock pretty well on the valve spring, I always double check it won't unseat before slipping it over the lifter. I've done hundreds and it's never happened to me. The fact it's happening on the rear bank which can be a pig to do makes me think they weren't seated right. Any damage to the cam lobes or anything else?

I didn't feel a distinct 'click' but it was definitely on straight and worked fine when I turned the engine a few times really fast by hand.

I did see that the cam lobe had a fine scratch on it from where the arm must have fallen off, but that was it really. I'm gonna have to pull it apart again tomorrow to have a good look though.

sidewayswizzard

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Justin
Drive
Hmmmm, strange. If you slot the rocker back over the valve spring you shouldn't be able to move it laterally even as you rotate it over the lifter. But my money is still on them not being seated correctly the first time. I'm sorry I can't really offer much help without taking a look in person.

crazynick505

Doing mad Helis
Lifetime Member
First Name
Nick
Drive
'96 Galant VR4 - 300kW
'19 Kia Stinger GT
'95 R33 Skyline
Hmmmm, strange. If you slot the rocker back over the valve spring you shouldn't be able to move it laterally even as you rotate it over the lifter. But my money is still on them not being seated correctly the first time. I'm sorry I can't really offer much help without taking a look in person.

Yeah, I'm just gonna have to give it another go I think. Maybe push it around a bit and see if it'll come loose in any way. I'm not sure of any other way I could test it

sidewayswizzard

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Justin
Drive
Just try and move it laterally before you tuck it under the cam lobe. Have you got the cam/engine rotated so you are working with the heel of the cam? if you're trying to work against the ramp you'll have a hard time and it might explain why you've had an issue with just three of them.

crazynick505

Doing mad Helis
Lifetime Member
First Name
Nick
Drive
'96 Galant VR4 - 300kW
'19 Kia Stinger GT
'95 R33 Skyline
Just try and move it laterally before you tuck it under the cam lobe. Have you got the cam/engine rotated so you are working with the heel of the cam? if you're trying to work against the ramp you'll have a hard time and it might explain why you've had an issue with just three of them.

Yeah, I have had the lobe facing up so I can get underneath. The fact that it was the 2 in the back and now it's just 1 of those 2 makes me feel like I just mustn't be seating it properly. Even when it looks good :cry:

crazynick505

Doing mad Helis
Lifetime Member
First Name
Nick
Drive
'96 Galant VR4 - 300kW
'19 Kia Stinger GT
'95 R33 Skyline
I'll probably give this another go on Friday. Gonna try and get the day off work so I can get this done before Lakeside on Saturday haha. *Fingers crossed*

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Thanks for the reminder, need to check mine!

Definately more clattering going on than the average lifter tick on the rare occasion it gets driven now days. :-/

crazynick505

Doing mad Helis
Lifetime Member
First Name
Nick
Drive
'96 Galant VR4 - 300kW
'19 Kia Stinger GT
'95 R33 Skyline
So I pulled it apart again today, rear bank had all arms perfectly in place, which is where I thought the problem was.

Opened the front side and boom, 3 arms sitting in the bottom of the head haha.

I don't wanna point any fingers but it was my mate who put all these on :p haha.

Hopefully should be all good after this

crazynick505

Doing mad Helis
Lifetime Member
First Name
Nick
Drive
'96 Galant VR4 - 300kW
'19 Kia Stinger GT
'95 R33 Skyline
Nope. All replaced and still tapping loudly.

Probably broken something I'd say :(

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
2010 50cc Scooter - Daily
Have you checked after you put the front three back on and ran it to find the noise?

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Just guessing here (I know this shouldn't be touch if only doing tappets) but have you checked if all the bolts on those bracket thingys that hols down the camshaft are maybe loose ? And maybe causing them to fall out with vibration when engine running ?
Like I said a guess might sound stupid but maybe you or your friend accidentally loosened them ?

crazynick505

Doing mad Helis
Lifetime Member
First Name
Nick
Drive
'96 Galant VR4 - 300kW
'19 Kia Stinger GT
'95 R33 Skyline
Yeah nah, everything is tight and defs no rocker arms falling off now. But I'm still getting the same noise :(

Guessing it happened after the first set fell off

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
:(
Well, if something is borken, may as well go to happy laps, what's there to lose now?...

Feel your pain though, my biggest fear every time I touch my car is that I will make things worse... I just have to tell myself that cars break every day, even when they arent fucked with. Yer, it doesn't help.

crazynick505

Doing mad Helis
Lifetime Member
First Name
Nick
Drive
'96 Galant VR4 - 300kW
'19 Kia Stinger GT
'95 R33 Skyline
Yeah, I feel the same. This was just the first time I was unlucky I guess.

Definitely primed the lifters before hand. I'm putting it down to the arms not being installed correctly, as I didn't actually do that part, I got a friend to do it while I held the springs.

Anyways, car is off to Ben keeley this next week sometime and we'll see how we go from there (y)

sidewayswizzard

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Justin
Drive
I hope you didn't fully prime them (n) Anyway hoping it's just something simple, let us know as soon as you can (y)

Top Bottom