Anyone know the proper bolt pattern for the rocker covers

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Hey all,

Sorry i try'd searching but couldn't find anything, But if there is a actual thread I'm sorry i honestly searched and only could find where to put the sealant on.

I'm just wondering if anyone has a picture or a thread here that let's you know the proper bolt pattern when reinstalling the front and rear rocker covers.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Bolt pattern, as in PCD on a wheel? or do you mean tightening order?

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Na i mean the rocker cover bolts.

I think there's 18 in total (9 each cover) but heard there's a proper way of tighting, like a pattern so the gasket sits nicely and low chance of leaking early. Hope i make sense.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Since the torque for these bolts is NOTHING - like 3.2 newton metres - there's not a huge benefit to a particular order, except to make sure you don't fully tighten one before almost completely tightening others.

My own approach was as follows (and I have no leaks):

1. Start tightening the bolts in the middle of the cover first, as these help pull it down. Take them to finger tight i.e. use your fingers to spin the socket not a wrench
  2. Get everything else finger tight
  3. Work your way around tightening everything to 3.2Nm

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Start from the center and tighten each bolt opposite and at diagonals outwards. Same as any manifold. This is what I was taught.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Workshop manual doesn't show any kind of order. Suggestions above should do the trick.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
I ususally do the center 3 first then top 3 then bottom 3.
finger tight first. then 2 or 3 rounds of this just nipping them tighter up each time helps pull it down square. I usually do it tighter than 3.2Nm tho as that's next to nothing

Rayyan_de1

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Rayyan
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 {1997}
Honda Civic Gli {1996}
Starting this thread up cos I’m completely lost, the workshop manual shows what I presume is 3.5 Nm, sounds like a ziptie could beat it. Any recommendations?

Also wanted to ask if I put the sealant on the bottom of the gasket where it meets the head or where the gasket meets the rocker cover?

Just trying not to mess my first nice car up :/
69BD1716-75B5-402C-8791-4805F6ED3FD8.jpeg

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
As per the manual sealant only in the sharp corners on the end cam caps between head and gasket. And 3.5nm. Gotta remember the rocker cover is only thin aluminum and its easy to crack. Ive seen plenty cracked ones from people thinking an impact is appropriate for doing small M6 fasteners

Top Bottom