Smoke at idle: Shaft seals?

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
Hey guys, got a couple of quick questions if I could.
Towed a small trailer over to Melbourne and back on the weekend and I have hurt my Galant.
It's now blowing blue smoke at idle.
Doesn't do the big cloud after deceleration and then throttle application (ie: valve stems), only blows smoke when idling.
Q1: Does this mean I blown a turbo shaft seal?
(I've checked the forum now, maybe PCV?)
Q2: If turbos, does this mean turbo rebuild needed?
Q3: How much normally? (not including installation etc)
Q4: This ones probably meant more for Steve, with these new high-flow turbo's being developed ($1800 a pair I think I saw), can I continue to run my stock injectors and 3 port tune with the new turbo's for now without having to retune? Ie: Will the ECU continue to control boost ok and manage correct AFR's?
Thanks all.

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
2010 50cc Scooter - Daily
I'm far from an expert but I thought turbo seal failure would normally result in constant smoke, or at the very least smoke under load - rather than just at idle.

As I think you've already mentioned, check/replace PCV (It's relatively cheap and easy to do) - and maybe check/add a catch can if you don't have one already.

Steve will have to confirm about the tuning and turbo upgrades. You probably *could* just bolt on high flows without a retune, but generally I'm of the opinion whenever you change something major you should get it re tuned to ensure everything is as it should be.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
try with the cheapest first, replace your PCV Valve.

smoke during idle usually mean it's the valve stem seals as this has the most vacuum..

then lastly, turbo seals...

that's from least expensive to either of them being expensive.

Top Bottom