standard airbox needed borrow or buy

fgetme

Idling at the Lights
First Name
ryan
Drive
Mitsubishi legnum vr4
Hey guys im in south east melbourne unfortunately I got a defect on my car one part was I need airbox as podfilter in box isnt good enough so if anyone has one I can borrow for a few days please reply

Xoxide

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
'98 Legnum
Wow, how ridiculous. The state government and EPA are getting more and more unreasonable.

I just did some research and It seems in Vic any oil based filter needs to be enclosed and secured in order to pass EPA regulations.
Dry filters do not need to be enclosed.

It seems most people just stick a stock airbox over the top or fabricate something up.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Hey mate, if you want to buy, do the right thing and become a member and post a wanted to buy thread in the right section. Help support the forum that puts you in contact with knowledgeable people, traders and sellers.

Become a member: http://ozvr4.com/forums/payments.php

Then post your wtb thread in here: http://ozvr4.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?84-Wanted-To-Buy

The fact you're contemplating going back to a pod after clearing the defect tells me you should stick around and do some reading ;)

fgetme

Idling at the Lights
First Name
ryan
Drive
Mitsubishi legnum vr4
Im sorry I didnt know I had to do it that way. Ill do that tomorrow and sorry again. I have done reading and seams if you have intercooler stock or not you cant have a pod filter. The one I have is in a home made box metal side tinted perspec top but still no good.

fgetme

Idling at the Lights
First Name
ryan
Drive
Mitsubishi legnum vr4
I would buy one but wasnt sure if people had any for sale or even to borrow but thought couldnt hurt to ask

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
All good, you didn't now, now you do :) Also:

My understanding is that the Karmann Vortex maf requires laminar flow to read accurately. The factory intake facilitates this flat, uniform air stream using a panel filter placed directly in front of the sensor. Doesn't matter where you place a pod filter, it's still not going to give the laminar flow of a panel optimally placed.

Put up a new thread in the intro section and you'll discover we're a friendly bunch and happy to help out :D

Balla1989

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Nick
Drive
1999 VR4 Galant and 1978 Ford XC Ute
Schooled!!! Sorry I couldn't resist.

Xoxide

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
'98 Legnum
I made a post on the subject a little while ago.

You are much better sticking to the stock air box and snorkel if you've already got them.
A lot of people like to run a secondary intake hose/duct into the air box that draws from somewhere a bit lower/cooler, but its not a requirement.

As mentioned, normal Pod filters do more harm than good due to the way they pull air through the MAF sensor incorrectly.
On our cars, the MAF sensor sits directly behind the air-box and measures the amount of air passing through it on the way to the engine using a combination of ultrasonic waves and black magic.
The unit is designed to have straight, even airflow running through it in order to get an accurate flow reading (which it can get from an air-box). Cone pod filters don't do that.... instead, they create a vortex of violent spinning air which just completely fucks the sensor up...

Saying that though... It's still entirely possible to run a Pod filter and a cold air intake without suffering any of the detrimental effects... its just more effort.
A cold air intake with a sizable elbow and large enough gap between the Pod and the MAF unit can minimize the vortex effect. You'll need to move the battery to the boot and get some custom pipes made.
It's also possible to run a Pod filter without a CAI. K&N make oval-shaped-units which perfectly match the oval shaped intake on the MAF unit. A good option if the car came with a cone pod and no stock airboxes were floating around at the time (my scenario). Then you've got issues with heat soak etc etc </ramble>"

fgetme

Idling at the Lights
First Name
ryan
Drive
Mitsubishi legnum vr4
Thats the issue I have mine came with a monster bliz pod filter the battery was moved to boot and a box made around the pod filter so gets cold air from behind headlight

Top Bottom