starter motor dilemas

G

Unregistered
Hey guys my starter motor has given up on life and i got a quote for a new one and the auto sparky said $1300, id rather eat my own hair then pay that for a starter, so i was wonderin if any magna, fto, or any other mits starters could be a straight swap. any help would be appreciated, cheers

G

Unregistered
hey, i got mine done in sa a month or two ago. cost me 800 which is expensive compared to most cars. but i duno what one they used. he did have a little trouble getting a hold of one so im guessing thats why it was more expensive. id get a few quotes if i was you. wouldnt pay for that much. or see if there are any on trademe.nz you could buy and send over

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Nat, 6A11 engines were never release here in oz.. that is why 6A series engines have limited aftermarket stuff..

if lancers here were released with the v6.. alot of honda owners would've bought them instead of their civics.. :D

Tony, if I may suggest, take out the starter motor yourself.. then take that starter motor to the auto sparky.. get them to change the carbon brush inside it.. which is what most likely what the problem is..

it's pretty easy.. 2 main bolts you need to remove and i think 2 nuts which are for the wire connectors...

I suggest you undo the positive terminal first by using 12mm (or 14mm spanner) then insulate the terminal temporarily, then undo the negative,

a typical 3/8" drive ratchet with 14mm socket is what you need to undo the 2 main bolts.. also you might need 2" extension and uni joint to undo the housing bolts..

here's an quick illustration

attachment.php

last thing.. yellow part is the carbon brush (14020P), (usually cost around $15-$30 depending where you buy it or if who buys it..) and in red are the main bolts you need to remove.. (ignore the 14046 i made a mistake)

Attachments

• Starter Motor.JPG
    Starter Motor.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 51
G

Unregistered
umm i cna check with my boss wat a new one would cost you or a reco one would ?? if thatd help you at all ??
and are u sure power is getting down to the starter ? cause with mine it wouldnt start but hte problem was no power going down :)

G

Unregistered
we can get new starter motors for these for $330 including gst.
and if you can get your car to us * south fremantle W.A* then we can fit it for free for you . just post in here or pm me if any 1 is interested

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I've got one here too if you are interested, I'll let it go for AU$200

G

Unregistered
hey, thanks heaps for all your help. naughtika i have removed it and taken it to the auto spark, when i turn key you can clearly hear the starter motor throw out yet not spin over, i have tried jump starting it incase there was low voltage but had no luck. the strange thing is it bench tests fine!!! this happened to me on a previous car where it would not turn over under load. but the auto spark wont cange the brushes cos he said it looks fine. i will ask the auto spark to look at car to def rule out anything else hen get him to oreder new brushes if all goes well!!!! if not i may send a pm to one of the sellers here!!, again thanks so much for your help and you shall here from me soon..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
we can get new starter motors for these for $330 including gst.
and if you can get your car to us * south fremantle W.A* then we can fit it for free for you . just post in here or pm me if any 1 is interested
Where do you work Matt?

Top Bottom