Sunroofs

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
Is it just me or are sunroofs not an option on the Galants? i dont think i've ever seen a galant with a sunroof, yet almost every single leggie seems to have one...

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Sunroofs on Galants are rare but certainly not impossible ;)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I've got a Galant, and its got sunroof.. and other rare options that were apparent to our cars..

roof antenna and rear wiper.. err.. apart from them i can't think of anything else...

unless i can compare it another model..

btw.. Frozen's got sunroof too..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Is there a sunroof option, or are they all moon roofs? (and no I'm not just being facetious its a genuine question - I think I read somewhere that early models had a sunroof option, but I could be wrong)

G

Unregistered
As far as I have seen the galant got the sunroof which was sort of typical size to most cars and the leggie got the moonroof.
No options on the two so could not get the galant with the moonroof and could not get the leggie with the sunroof.
I dont think every leggie got a roof as you say as `out of 30-50 cars at jap auctions on a weekly basis I only ever run into 4-5 with roofs on vr4's.I would say that only about 10-20% got roofs and about 10% for galants from what I have seen.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
They are similar, but while you can feel the sun through both only the moon roof is big enough to fit your ass out of.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Haha. I always thought sunroofs were opaque (ie. metal) and moonroofs were glass. Pretty much everything comes with glass moonroofs nowadays...

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
It could also be my imagination, but I've noticed that sunroofs seem to be rarer on the post facelift Galants.

I've seen a few pre facelifts with the roof, but have yet to come across a post facelift with the roof (aside from my own, of course).

Alex, you're right though in that it's much easier to find Leggy with the roof than a roofed Galant.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
I have a facelift Galant with a sun roof also. :)

It could also be my imagination, but I've noticed that sunroofs seem to be rarer on the post facelift Galants.

I've seen a few pre facelifts with the roof, but have yet to come across a post facelift with the roof (aside from my own, of course).

Alex, you're right though in that it's much easier to find Leggy with the roof than a roofed Galant.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Kenneth, we are definitely the exception and not the rule.

I spent months and months looking for my Galant and never once saw a post facelift Galant with sunroof (let alone one in manual, with Recaros and a colour other than white!).

Do you have any other rare goodies on your Galant e.g. factory Recaros, manual etc?

Trevor, I'd upload a picture of my roof but the car is currently sitting in storage waiting for compliance. Someone forgot to tell us that the car was put on a boat in Japan and now there's a mad rush to get the vehicle import approval sorted!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Kenneth's one is a Recaro + Momo car too. It was an auto but was converted over easter to a manual. Trigger Mauve in colour.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
The moonroof on the Leggy's are huge. My brother and 3 mates got their formal photos taken out of my roof :p Love mine and rarely drive without it being open, my necks always burnt like a hillbilly.

djb160

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Dale
Drive
Legnum VR4 "Grimace"
Nissan Leaf
Do any other cars have a single sunroof as large as the legnum ones? I've seen heaps of cars with double sunroofs but thats all.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i thought sunroof vs moonroof was about whether it was electric or just a slider/hatch...

G

Unregistered
Not a lot of cars have the huge moonroof but here are a few and I cant remember them all but at least a dozen come to mind.
My old CRV had one the same or almost the same size, audi Q7 has a huge one and a small front second one, either the tarago or the nissan SUV has one, the merc E class has one I think, porsche 911 has one that retracts out,there is a few others but I think all cars are suv's or very expensive exotics and can only think of the leggie and the crv for bargain cars with bigg asss moonroofs.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
lol I wouldn't call a VR-4 a bargain car. We are getting them very cheap imported now but I remember seeing a thread around the forum about the original sale price for the VR-4's and they were pretty damn expensive. Now a Kia...thats a bargain car.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
As Brad said, Recaros are about it. I wouldn't call Manual rare, though it does seem to impact on the trim level.

I have 2 Galants, the 1997 Manual which donated its gearbox to the 1999 also had a sun roof, but had a crappy standard 1997 interior.

Needless to say, the sacrifice of one to better the second :)

Kenneth, we are definitely the exception and not the rule.

I spent months and months looking for my Galant and never once saw a post facelift Galant with sunroof (let alone one in manual, with Recaros and a colour other than white!).

Do you have any other rare goodies on your Galant e.g. factory Recaros, manual etc?

Trevor, I'd upload a picture of my roof but the car is currently sitting in storage waiting for compliance. Someone forgot to tell us that the car was put on a boat in Japan and now there's a mad rush to get the vehicle import approval sorted!

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
If I am not mistaken, only approximately 10% of Galants come in manual, making them much rarer than the tiptronics ;)

Then, when you add Recaros and the sunroof in a manual Galant, it makes it far rarer again. The cherry on top is that our cars aren't the common white colour ;)

I've seen the manual + sunroof + Recaros + non-white many times in the Leggy. I've seen it once in a Galant from the factory. You've done well to get this combination in your Frankenstein conversion ;)

I wish I had the luxury of a back up donor car for transplanting parts!

Top Bottom