surging feeling

karlous54

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Karl
Drive
2000 Vr4 Manuel
Ive been getting a shuddering feeling in the car when i accelerate. Mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear when im hitting boost. Feels like the clutch is engaging on a warn out fly wheel, but the clutch is engaged.
I also have a shudder in my clutch when taking off in first gear. ( dont think they are related but maybe ) Like the fly wheel is stuff. The clutch is about 7,000km old. Car still performs well just like normal. I aske the mechanic if he did the fly wheel and he can't remember :confused:
Has something come loose ? or maybe something hasnt been put back right ? What ya reckon?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Get one of the welly members to drive your car and see what they think.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
I have that exact same problem so let me know if you find out whats wrong mate. Ive put that on the back burner while i fix other things for now.

karlous54

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Karl
Drive
2000 Vr4 Manuel
yeah ill let you know, wounder if its a buckled wheel as ive just put a set of second hand evo 7 wheels on, or maybe a engine mount or some mounting some where that hasnt been done up??????

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Yeah i was thinking maybe engine mounts. They looked alright at a glance but havent had them properly checked out yet.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Do you have an aftermarket BOV cos when i checked mine the other day i found that it was set far too soft. So i tightened it up and lost almost all the noise but the shudder and surging got better as well as my idling (which was a bit high). Generally much smoother to drive as well. Cant quite seem to get it tight enough though so im going to replace it with the stock one tomorrow and see if that completely eliminates the problem. Interesting to see if this is the same problem with yours.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
This "surging" feeling you're describing is basically a "miss" when under load, right?
For example, while pulling up a hill you notice you're getting a "kick", like it's missed a beat?
Or when overtaking in top gear and not downshifting, you press the pedal, boost comes on and the car will jerk while climbing through the revs, right?

If you answered yes to any of those, you need new plugs and leads. And if you've just done your plugs and it's still happening, then you need to do your leads.
They are the two main causes of this problem.

karlous54

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Karl
Drive
2000 Vr4 Manuel
-Yeah i have a HKS blow off valve which to be honest would like to change to a factory cause i've had my doubts about how good it is. Doesnt seem to be any where to tighten anything up on though ? Are all after market SHOW off valves adjustable? Where did you locate a factory blow valve as mine came with the after market one ?

Was talking to a mechanic today and he said the same thing, he reckons its the leads. Cause when im at lower revs i get the shuddering/surging feeling, but higher revs 3500rpm/4000rpm up wards its fine. Generally this is only when accelerating off from stationary.
The girl friend drove it the other day and reckons it doesnt have the pick up it did after i did the last service and plugs.
So will get a set of new leads and see what happens!

Thanks heaps for the help! will keep you posted!

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
-Yeah i have a HKS blow off valve which to be honest would like to change to a factory cause i've had my doubts about how good it is. Doesnt seem to be any where to tighten anything up on though ? Are all after market SHOW off valves adjustable? Where did you locate a factory blow valve as mine came with the after market one ?

The new SSQV's don't have them... They don't need them on a push type valve

The old ones that did have them but they didn't tighten the valve as such, just the release tension meaning it released faster/slower.... Slower release meant it was sloppy and created boost fluctuations causing that sequential noise

If you want a factory valve man, just ask around the forum for one thats been swapped out for an aftermarket. My advice would be to get the uprated EVO 8 MR BOV as it holds more boost without leaking

karlous54

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Karl
Drive
2000 Vr4 Manuel
Yeah riteo if anyone has one they want to get rid of it would be much appreciated if you could get in contact with me. As a new one from mitsubishi is megger bucks for what it is.

Are you able to make the discharge nosie from a blow valve last longer by backing off the accelerator slowly as i can control it by doing that ? and when i back off the accelerator very quickly i get a jolt in the car and this is only when the blow valve is discharging? This normal ??? cheers :)

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Karl,

Im happy to have a drive of the car this weekend for you(live in silverstream) and see if I can help nail down some of these issues for you.

Im sure that Wynn would be happy to help too.

Let me know.

J

karlous54

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Karl
Drive
2000 Vr4 Manuel
Yeah that would be awesome mate, thought your pics look local, i live in Mount Marua, U.H Would be to sort something out!

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Karl, i'm 90% sure it's your leads.
Give Michael at ICE Ignition direct a call on 03 9532 6000. Tell him you're from OZVR4 and he'll send a set out to you overnight. The cost is $121.
Gorgs and myself have recently ordered a set from him as well.

Also take a look at this thread with all the info on ICE Ignition VR-4 leads.

karlous54

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Karl
Drive
2000 Vr4 Manuel
Awesome, will get onto that tomorrow morning. Thanks for the heads up. Could clear up a few issues

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Yeah your problem actually sounds different to mine. Id go with Dimi on the leads.

karlous54

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Karl
Drive
2000 Vr4 Manuel
Had a chat to Michael from ICE Ignition direct over your side of the ditch today and ordered a set of RED leads ( for wank factor ) so will get them next week and will let ya know! He was really helpful and it only cost me $100 bucks cause i didnt have to pay tax !

karlous54

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Karl
Drive
2000 Vr4 Manuel
Installed the leads, fairl good improvements. Dont get the shudder when accelerating anymore which is great, but still get a slight vibration when going through 2nd and 3rd gear. But appart from that its alot better!

Top Bottom