Help. Brakes not feeling quite right

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
Hey guys, any advise on what I should be looking for?

Basically got my car back after a minor bingle and the brakes don't feel right (which I am now assuming was the reason for said bingle)
The brakes feel like they are really heavy and that they are not going to stop the car at all (even though they do) the brakes seem to come on sooner (ie: pedal is only pressed a cm or so and they start biting, but not in a positive way, kind of feels like the car weighs two tonnes.
Can anyone shed any light on this?
Obviously sourcing a new set of pads is the first step, but I guess what I am asking is... how do I know for sure if it is the pads, or the rotors, or the brake fluid?
what I have checked: Brake fluid seems full and OK. Rotor itself is quite new still (only about 1/2 mm worn in from edge) and that is all I know how to check.

any tips?
also what would you recommend in terms of upgrading (and no, I can't afford or justify Brembo....or canI...hmmmmmm a quandry)

Thanks in advance,

G

Unregistered
Sounds like to me a seized brake caliper combined with old pads.

Get the calipers off, get them overhauled and free'd up. Then get some good (I recomend EBC Green Stuff) brake pads.

Worthwhile getting the rear brakes checked as well

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Could be a problem with your brake booster.

Check the vacuum feed to the brake booster (off the back of the plenum, the biggest vacuum hose) and then check for any leaks from the brake booster itself.

There is also a one way valve, check that.

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
David, Kenneth,

Thanks a heap guys, will go and check those things and look into purchasing some EBC pads
David, what do you mean by overhaul the calipers? is this something I can do?

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
nb: When I bought the car there was a dead rat wrapped around the front rotor and squashed in between the pads.(yeah, I know, its not the mod I was hoping for) I cleaned it as best I could but perhaps this has influenced the problem?

Greg GSL

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Greg
Drive
Cross6
also what would you recommend in terms of upgrading (and no, I can't afford or justify Brembo....
Have a quick flick through this:
http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4626

We've gone over both pads and a bit of fluid discussion as well, the later of which is just as (if not more) important than pads.

EBC's are a good pad, but on non-european rotors (ie. harder ones) their friction co-ef's are too low, and overpriced for what you're getting.

G

Unregistered
if only qfm did pads for legnums....at my last check, they ddint :(

G

Unregistered
The caliper overhau is a compelte strip down and then clean up threads. They normally jam on the caliper slides commen problem with age and low use. You can't do it yourself.

Greg GSL

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Greg
Drive
Cross6
if only qfm did pads for legnums....at my last check, they ddint :(
They do! We've got both HPX and A1RM compounds on the shelf, and we'd usually have the rears but we've sold a stack since being on here so they're on back order...

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Sorry to hijack thread, but I also have an issue with brakes. Every now and then, on wet days my brakes seem to momentarily fail then catch again. I've got new pads and tyres to chuck on very soon and im taking it really easy atm but wondering if anyone has any ideas? Always happens after car has been sitting outside in the rain so would it maybe be water on the brakes? I also thought maybe the terrible nexen tyres are losing grip during braking. My fluid has been changed recently so i don't know, appreciate any suggestions.

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
Mortz, clearly I am not the one to answer as I pose more questions than I resolve, but I was just talking to a mate of mine about all this and telling him that I have just (literally) bought some QFM pads from Greg at GSL Rallysport (on this forum) -top bloke, thanks Greg
and my mate reckons that when he had this issue with his evo 6 (the issue YOU have not me) he says that the brake lines were gone, and it was because of this and the temperature changes throughout the day that caused his brakes to respond erratically. Check your brake lines, and possibly go for the braided option, he did and its been sweet since.
anyway, that's my 2 cents worth (hmmm, think I just solved part of my problem too....)

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Cheers Alex, I'll have to have a look soon and see if thats the problem. Certainly makes sense though!

Top Bottom