Help with brakes issue-metal squeal

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
Any suggestions?
I have brand new pads (well, they're like 5000km old) and when I hit the brakes it makes a horrible metal on metal sound and sometimes what sounds like fluid washing about. (very unnatural sound):cursing:
The brake fluid levels are fine and I have felt the disc and there is a noticeable bump at the edge indicating wear. (maybe 1mm or 2 but I know if this was a bike it'd be bye bye to your discs)

With this in mind, anyone shed any light on what the cause of this sound could be.??
NB: It only comes from the drivers front wheel.
it still brakes really hard and does not feel weaker, just sounds it

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Do you have brembos or stock brakes? What type of pads are in there? Are both sets of pads on both fronts worn evenly? Were the discs new when you installed them? Are they worn evenly?

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
Thanks Brad, now here is a guy who knows something.
Ok...
1: Stock brakes with AR1QFM street pads (from guy on this forum) on the front and standard pads on rear.
Rear pads look evenly worn with at least 5000km left on them, fronts are only 5k old
rear pads are therefore more worn
Discs are worn evenly around edges and front and rear also similiar, and no they are also standard rotors which came with car.
Car is 2001 model with 66000km (just as an FYI)

Thanks in advance Brad

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Are the front pads evenly worn? The reason I was asking about that is that sometimes one piston can get stuck which can cause all sorts of problems.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Alex when you say 'brand new' do you mean they WERE new, but you've since done 5,000kms on them? Or someone else did 5,000kms on them and you've just installed them?

You COULD have a problem where you're getting uneven pressure to the RHS front callipers due to a blockage in your brake lines or something... so those pads have worn down faster. Or you could have some foreign material stuck in there - have you pulled the calliper off to take a look yet? I mean, the pads COULD just be worn - I know I've gone through a set of pads in less than 5,000kms before... :banghead:

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
Thanks Trev, Brad. will check it out right now to see if pads are a) evenly worn or b) completely gone already!
oh and Trev, The pads were newly installed by me* about 5000k's ago.

(*Ah, installed by ME. I think I've found the problem LOL!)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
If they are uneven then I'd imagine you have a sticking piston. Did you install all the metal backing plates?

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
yeah of course. (?) I pretty much put them back the same way they came off, and I used one of the how to's (evo oz forum?) to help.
If I find they are uneven is the sticking piston the most obvious diagnosis to the problem? and if so what am I looking at $$ wise to fix this?
(please be cheap please be cheap please be cheap)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Alex, have you checked if the slide bolts on either calipers were sliding nicely when you fitted them back? there's this special grease for it I think PBR makes them which is called 'Rubber Grease (associated with Braking components)

G

Unregistered
Long discussion about suitable caliper grease with recommendations:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14433

But in brief, I bought Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube Hi-Temp Silicone Formula 24115 from an ABS (Auto Brake Service) outlet but it was about $40 for the big pot.

Alternatively Super Cheap Auto (some stores only) sells sachets of Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube 24110. Look for the Counterman's Choice sachets, it's half the price of the carded one.

From memory they are $2.35 a sachet, and to do a good job of front & rear you'll need 2 sachets. Bursons sells the carded version if you get stuck - it's about $11. Either way, it's pretty cheap.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
I had this problem on bendix pads, from new... it was horrible!

Good luck sorting it out, and let us know what you end up finding.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
I noticed when braking from 180km/h to 100km/h i had a really loud knocking sound from the brakes, like shuddering but banging... not sure if i should start a new thread or if it could be answered here, as im pretty sure my pads are running low - would it be my slots? :S

Top Bottom