tails aka Taylor // Adelaide SA - intro and odd query

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Hey there,

Been lurking for sometime on and off. Always had an interest in cars and my circumstances have somewhat aligned recently (new job) and will be able to afford a VR4 soon.

I'm gonna be looking at some VR4s (both Galants and Legnums) in the next few weeks. Would it be so out of line to ask someone with more experience with these vehicles too have a look with me? One would be compensated of course (case of beer (or the beverage of your choice, I'm not prejudiced)). I just would rather pay someone with experience with these vehicles in particular to have a look as opposed to or combined with a RAA inspection.

While I've done lots of reading and have a basic understanding of mechanics, I'm still not confident enough to trust myself with these things.

Anyway, looking forward to learning lots and OZVR4 combined with ClubVR4 seem to have that covered for me!

ECfiveA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
97 Galant VR4
Hello, Welcome aboard.

Check the for sale section as more often than not the details and experiences the members have had with there cars is well documented on this site so you'll know more about the car than from an add on carsales or ebay. Also it looks like you are interested in buying locally, which is good as prices locally are now cheaper than importing direct from japan, although if you want something specific importing may be the way to go. A word of warning though there is a guy in balhannah that always advertises on carsales, he's a bit dodgy and always has the same pictures of a galant a mate of mine supposedly bought from him on his ads.

enjoy the journey

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Welcome aboard! I'm sure someone with a bit more nouse than me will rock up and save the day on this one.

I wouldn't dicount the traditional RAA inspection either, the guys are usually very good.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Hi Taylor, welcome.
My best advice would be to figure out exactly what you want ie auto/manual, series one (Pre facelift) or series two (facelift), Galant/Legnum, modded/stock, budget that way you can choose to chase one locally or go down the import path

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Budget: 10,000
Auto
Preferably a Galant over a Legnum, so (from my understanding) facelift doesn't really apply. If I was looking at a Legnum I'd prefer to have the latest model possible, so I'd prefer S2. But I'm somewhat in different.
I'd want it as stock as possible

I'm fairly certain due to my budget I'd be looking at purchasing locally.

There's one 8th Gen Galant on Carsales right now. 96 Vr4, black, stock, 96,000km for 7,900. Seems to good to be true to be honest. I know I'd be looking at a major service very soon at 100,000km and possible control arms and tranny wave spring replacement.
Link

As well as a couple of Legnums, one of which is located in Balhannah which I've just been warned against some what.

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum
Welcome to OZVR4

The main difference for Galant FL and PFL is the front bumper; 2 fogs each side and two vertical thingies in the middle of the bumper, the bonnet, flares and tail lights.

I think that one is a fair valuation since service is coming up, that has been up for a while I think.

Keep us in the loop.

ECfiveA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
97 Galant VR4
Just to be more specific with the guy from balhannah, he advertised a 98 galant facelift for $12k with 3 months rego etc. My mate asked him on the phone if he could do it for $10.5k and he said he will but put stock rims on it. He had a look at it to see its a 96 pfl galant and still needed to go through inspection before being registered, which the seller refused to help him pass as he had to fit std suspension and axhaust and new tyres. He keeps advertising the same 98 galant, but wether he actually has it or not is another story.

BCX

Administrator
Premium Member
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
another main difference between PFL and FL

FL will generally have a 7202 or 7203 based ECU that is able to be reflashed easier, better mods and defs available.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Thanks for the heads up guys. I'm still a ways off getting it, maybe three to four months. I just started a new job and credit companies don't particularly like some one whom has just started a new job. Apparently I'm unstable. By the time I'm actually in a position to do it I'll most likely be able to afford actually importing one myself or going via an import dealer. So that's exciting.

Never the less I'll stick around here and keep my ear to the ground.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
welcome to ozvr4, tails. seems the guys already have you sorted but ill leave all this here anyway.

all the info you need is here somewhere

eg:

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.p...ook-here-FIRST. (index to lots of good stuff)
http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.p...ommon-problems (common issues/fixes)
http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.p...rum.-MUST-READ (all the info about these cars and their varients)
http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.p...taged-Upgrades (staged upgrades)
http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.p...tion-Info-HELP (production info)

and if you're wondering why you cant post a new thread, its cause you hav to be a donating member, which is $5.

i think that covers everything...most of that should keep you reading for a few nights and when the time for purchase comes you'll be in the know. again, welcome :)

it's.simon

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
VR-4 Galant Type S
Another person with experience with the guy from Balhannah. I bought my car from him. 2001 Black Facelift Galant Manual with 82,000kms. He's a Melbourne/Adelaide import company that advertises his cars under the private section (dealers pay more over private.) so that's dodgy number 1.

The car inspected was the one in the ad (although I called up about a Galant he said which one so I was like wtf) anyway aslong as the car is straight then that's fine. My car had retardedly gapped (over 2mm) and mismatched plugs. Mismatched tyres. Other than that it was straight, awesome, clean as a whistle and had no rust. So yeah, the seller himself is dodgy but aslong as the car itself isn't dodgy then we're gravy. Also be firm with this guy, half a year ago my 2001 Galant was advertised for $14,990 as I got it for $11,500. Low ball much? It took over two week but I got a damn good price. :) best of luck. Also $10K isn't heaps, especially if you've got a stable job. It's best to pay outright and fully own a car over finance. I was 21, student working part-time and managed to scrape up 11K somehow. Best of luck man!

Jase

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jase
Drive
1998 Mitsubish Legnum VR4 - Type S FL
+1 I'm another person who has experience with the guy from Balhannah, think his name is Simon. I bought a 2000 Trigger Facelift Legnum, Auto, with 84,000 kms.

At the time I was looking for a Legnum and spotted one advertise by him, rang him inquiring about, again he said 'which one', I was like the one advertised 'the silver super Legnum', he like 'oh don't have that anymore but I have others'. In the end I went up there and saw what he had. At the time he seemed genuine, telling me he was starting up an import broker business, importing jap cars, but I found out he's dodgy as.

At the time I had limited knowledge on VR4's, all I knew is I wanted a Legnum !! I test drove the FL Legnum I bought, first time driving a VR4 and loved it, I couldn't resistance and rushed in and bought It. Again he had it advertised for $12,000 and I ended up buying it from him for $10,000. When I bought, I figured he would take down the advertisement, but it was still advertised for over 2 months and he increased the price from $12,00 to $14,000, WTF dodgy much !!

I was very lucky as there wasn't too much wrong with the car compared to other stories I have heard about him. It was coming up to a 5,000 km service and I was noticing oil leakage from the transmission, so I took it to the best VR4 mechanic in South Australia, actually make that in Australia, Jon, where i was told bad news, that the cause of the transmission leak was unknown and he would have to take the transmission off to find the problem and he thought there was more problems but the ended up being nothing major and an easy fix. The only problem I really had wit hit was a dodgy sump plug being the problem, an easy fix, thank god, could have been way worse. At the time i thought i had bought a lemon !!

If i had advice for you, it would be, buy a Legnum or Galant off the forum, that way you know the people that are selling them are genuine and the car has been taken good care of, after all we all treat our VR4's as babies, well I do.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Bait and switch is dodgy enough but all the other things really add up. When buying from an individual you lose certain rights such as cooling off periods, stat warranty depending on the age of the car etc. These dodgy sellers pretending to sell as individuals via carsales are a growing problem. I've been duped by one guy but he was caught out and was pursued by fair trading department.

Top Bottom