tails aka Taylor // Adelaide SA - intro and odd query

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
I was very lucky as there wasn't too much wrong with the car compared to other stories I have heard about him. It was coming up to a 5,000 km service and I was noticing oil leakage from the transmission, so I took it to the best VR4 mechanic in South Australia, actually make that in Australia, Jon, where i was told bad news, that the cause of the transmission leak was unknown and he would have to take the transmission off to find the problem and he thought there was more problems but the ended up being nothing major and an easy fix. The only problem I really had wit hit was a dodgy sump plug being the problem, an easy fix, thank god, could have been way worse. At the time i thought i had bought a lemon !!
Firstly, thanks for the kind words Jase. Secondly, it wasn't a sump plug man, remember I had to remove the trans? It was the transmission input shaft seal thT was leaking. The item that was in there was only sitting in about 2mm of the seal. Remove trans and transfer (decent job) and replace shit seal that someone did a half ass job of installing. Re-fit everything, new oil and flush and you haven't had a problem since.

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
The guy I bought mine from also in Adelaide had the same add for three different Legnums, its so they dont have to pay $60 each time. all cars were already complied but not registered, this way they dont put anything under there names and dont have to have a dealers lisence. Seems plenty of people are doing this and hey, I dont really blame them. As mentioned as long as the car is straight, mechanicly sound (which you can tell just by a few tell tale signs) and you have someone go over it for you if you cant do it yourself then all should be sweet and you can find some real low km bargains.

Good luck with the hunt.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Thanks for that guys.

Does anybody have any experience with Sinergy? They always seem to have a couple of Galants and Legnums in their showroom.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
I used to service my legnum there and they were generally pretty good. Their cars were always really nice and clean and they reiterated time and time again that they only buy the very cleanest cars from japan - and id generally beleive it. But being a dealer they have to charge a bit more although the advantage is they do offer extended warranties on their cars

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
I'm still lurking on here. I'm pretty much at the stage where I can get one.

I wanted to create a WTB thread but obviously I can't start new threads as I'm not a member, but I don't want to commit to being a member until I have a VR4. so I'll put the WTB in here...

WTB: '99 to '01 Galant VR4 Auto. Under 80,000km (but if you have something between 80k and 100k I'd be interested). Located in SA. I'd prefer black or white.

Sinergy had a black one listed with only 47k kms on it but it sold two days before I enquired about it, so I'm absolutely spewing! Just PM me on here.

Thanks!

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Its $5, dont be so tight! if you can't afford $5 now, I would question whether you really can afford a VR4.

Sorry, but need to be honest.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Its $5, dont be so tight! if you can't afford $5 now, I would question whether you really can afford a VR4.

Sorry, but need to be honest.

As soon as I get the Vr4, I'll cough up the $5. haha.

Interloper

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Legnum S Man, NX Paj, CBR1000RRSP2, CRF450
there are several tidy cars for sale on here but you prob cant see them......

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
I can access the For sale section, it seems to be mainly Legnums at the moment. Any Galants that are for sale are interstate.

Or is there a special secret section for members only?

Jase

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jase
Drive
1998 Mitsubish Legnum VR4 - Type S FL
Just donate 5 bucks, you aren't going to get much help from people just posting in here and plus people won't wanna help; it's not like your making a major life commitment, it only 5 bucks

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Just donate 5 bucks, you aren't going to get much help from people just posting in here and plus people won't wanna help; it's not like your making a major life commitment, it only 5 bucks

Bu...bu...but...yeah okay.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Congrats on becoming a member - we are good at arm twisting here ;)

As for which car to buy, you can buy my old legnum now for the measly sum of $11k with everything included. Only thing is you have to get it from the guy that bought it from me in Whyalla as the car "didn't grow on him like he thought it would" - but his loss (of $3,00+) is your gain. Awesome car for the $$$

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Congrats on becoming a member - we are good at arm twisting here ;)

As for which car to buy, you can buy my old legnum now for the measly sum of $11k with everything included. Only thing is you have to get it from the guy that bought it from me in Whyalla as the car "didn't grow on him like he thought it would" - but his loss (of $3,00+) is your gain. Awesome car for the $$$

If it were a Galant I'd be all over that like a rash. The Galants seem to be a bit harder to come by.

Could you perhaps twist some arms to have some one sell me their Galant please?

The dodgy Balhannah guy, Simon has a 99 Galant that's been complied for sale with 72,000 on the clock which I'm interested in. I understand he's a bit of a scrooge but if the vehicle is okay and I can get a nice price then there is no harm done. It has no plates on it though, is it expensive to be the first to register a vehicle?

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
Legnums are useful. Just so you know you cant fold down the seats in a Galant, no little hole in the middle either to get things through encase you were thinking you could still move small things in it.

Saying that they are good cars :)

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Legnums are useful. Just so you know you cant fold down the seats in a Galant, no little hole in the middle either to get things through encase you were thinking you could still move small things in it.

Saying that they are good cars :)

I've currently got a station wagon now, so it's more that I'm looking for a change. My girlfriend also has a station wagon, so should I need to move anything I could use hers.

I understand that the Galants are a little lighter than the Legnums, am I right with that understanding?

Jase

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jase
Drive
1998 Mitsubish Legnum VR4 - Type S FL
Sounds like you are in the same position as I was; I knew I wanted a VR4 but couldn't decide either a Legnum or Galant. I'm glad I went with the Legnum, best decision I ever did. Firs thing you need to do, is workout what you want out of the car, the number one things for me was practicability, so I went with the Legnum, plus a bonus is nothing beats the uniqueness of a twin turbo station wagon. The next thing you need to workout, is what you what to do with the car i.e. add mods to it or leave it stock, or are you happy to buy a car with already mods on it; for me I wanted something close to stock as possible so I could add some mods how I wanted to and I knew that it hadn't been tampered with. Once you've made your decisions go an inspect and test drive one or both if ya haven't made you mind up.

As I have said before it's always best to buy from someone here on the forum, that way you know that the car has been looked after well and you know your not gonna get screwed, plus it stays in the family cough Lee's Legnum BARGIN cough cough. Also, don't rush into one, I know I was, I so keen on getting one and rushed into straight away, I would advise to do some research workout if you want a series 1 or series 2, colour, AYC or no-AYC, Super etc. that way you'll have some knowledge.

Anyway glad you a member, Welcome :)

Hope you manage to decide your decision and find a VR4

Top Bottom