Tein super flex wagon equivalents

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
I was pretty keen on buying a set of these but found out they're out of production. Anyone know of anything of equivalent or better quality and the similar spring rates (8 and 5 kg/mm)?

All of the usuals like D2/ISC/BC seem to lack the quality of build and damping and are all way too stiff.

Or know of any places with old stock of the super flex wagons?

it's.simon

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
VR-4 Galant Type S
Try fulcrum suspension? They are like authorised Australia tein dealer and do R&D for aus market too

douwboy

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Joshua
Drive
2000 Legnum pearl white, manual, sunroof
HSD coilovers here is the link http://www.hsdcoilovers.com/suspension/. This is just a suggestion. I might put these in my car. There is an Australian distributor but i can get them through the importer i bought my car off. Even though you cant find our car on that site they do make them with different spring rates for our cars.

Unco_Tomato

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1996 White Manual Legnum w/ FL Kit
I just installed a pair of Tanabe Sustec Pro Coilovers and they are very comfortable. I'd say they are a good set to look into if you're chasing a more comfortable ride.

They were a JDM item though, so you need to be patient with an importing company/website to find a good deal.

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Thanks guys...

HSD coilovers here is the link http://www.hsdcoilovers.com/suspension/. This is just a suggestion. I might put these in my car. There is an Australian distributor but i can get them through the importer i bought my car off. Even though you cant find our car on that site they do make them with different spring rates for our cars.

Aren't HSDs similar quality to the other chinese made coil overs?

I just installed a pair of Tanabe Sustec Pro Coilovers and they are very comfortable. I'd say they are a good set to look into if you're chasing a more comfortable ride.

Which sustec pros do you have? Know what the spring rates are? Had a look around their website and couldn't find any specs.

MCA suspension,
may be expensive but they can custom build anything.
MCA will likely be way over my budget (~$2k). Don't want to be spending mega $ on the car.

I planned on talking to Josh next year for a set...
Who's Josh? Any idea the rough $$$?

The other thing I might just consider is getting the current Tein basic wagons rebuilt (rear right is blown). They're ok for what I use the car for.....but really would be nice to have something a little stiffer. Know anyone reputable around bris for rebuilding them?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
I planned on talking to Josh next year for a set...

When you do please let me know what he says!
I currently have Tein super wagon flex's but aren't stiff enough for me,
instead of re building the teins I think Ill just buy MCA's and then sell the teins on to recover some of the cost.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
When you do please let me know what he says!
I currently have Tein super wagon flex's but aren't stiff enough for me,
instead of re building the teins I think Ill just buy MCA's and then sell the teins on to recover some of the cost.
Wilco.
Justin, Josh is Murry Coote's son from MCA Ssuspension. They do very good stuff, typically rally but until recently, only high end race car stuff ( 1st 2nd and 3rd at world time attack 21012,2013).

I will be running their Gold series in my Sil80. Don't ask me how much it costs, you'll give birth to a whale...

recently they expanded their range to include the lower end car market. Red and blue range for a mix of common cars-Legnum isn't one of them. I panned on asking Josh to make me a set for my Leggy, I think it'll be out of the range most people on here would care to spend. That said I think the cheapest range is low 2k but like I said they don't make ours, the best you could do, if they'd agree to it is use your frames and replace the inner it's.

All speculation at this point until I talk to Josh

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Interested to hear your experiences with the super flex wagons. Aside from not being as stiff as you'd like, have you been happy with them?
What do you use the car for?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I have Tein on my leggy. No damper adjustable.

i had them rebuilt by fulcrum about 6 months ago to my specs and spring rates, cost me 2.2k - very happy

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Cheers Simon. Will be interested to see what they say.

$214 a corner to have my current coil overs rebuilt by fulcrum. Get them to swap to the stiffer springs and revalve while they're at it....could be an option.

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Just beat me on the reply again! :D

Out of interest what spring rates did you go?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Interested to hear your experiences with the super flex wagons. Aside from not being as stiff as you'd like, have you been happy with them?
What do you use the car for?

I bought mt Teins from new 2K NZD
they are bloody good. perfect damper rates for street
the 8/5 spring rates are pretty good as they come out of the box. but they are just not quite enough for the track. but simply changing the spring rates will help alot, but its not just the struts that are letting the car down on track.
that being said I could live with something like 12/10 spring rates on the road without complaining too much.

The car was my daily driver until recently when I have taken it off the road to build the MIVEC motor for it.

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Awesome. Exactly what I wanted to hear. My car really is purely a street car. Still needs to be comfortable for long highway drives and around town.
The current basic wagons with their 5/3 springs are just too soft at the lowered ride height. Blows right through the travel over any big bumps at speed and is too roll around the corners.

If I can't track down a set of the super flex wagons, then rebuilding the basics to similar spec looks like the go.

Thanks guys.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Spring rates are 6/4, but the dampers are where its at:cool:

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
I have Team Yellowspeed coilovers and the spring rates are 12F/7R.. when i head into the city the rates are comfortable, but with some of the dodgily patched roads in the Hakwesbury they can be a little stiff sometimes...

FYI, the Tein 5F/3R arent much better than the stock 3.6F/2.4R

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I must be soft. I quite like my Tein SuperWagons, rated at 5/3.

Then again my car isn't lowered to belly-scraping levels. Just chin-scraping ones (I put another scar on the front bumper corner the other day waaaaaaaah)

Top Bottom