The Intercooler Thread

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Simon I printed their article out and read it last night - fantastic reference and great place for cooling applications. I'll definitely be giving them a call in a few months :)

I'm glad you liked it Trevor, I'm also more impressed you took the time to read it.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
hey guys, just wondering if a 885(with end tanks)x285x70 size intercooler would fit without cutting the bumper support???
cheers

It would be a tight squeeze probably struggle to get the bar back on as it will squeeze up... just from experience i think mine from memory was about 840-860 wide including tanks?

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
Came across this JustJap.com special pricing page from nissansilvia.com

Note they have a 600x300x70mm. Would this fit behind the impact bar without any cutting I wonder?

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
I got a just jap cooler. 76mm

I dont see anyway to avoid cutting the impact bar with out alot of stuffing around.

just cut it saves the hassles.....

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Surely cutting the impact bar changes the way it works and voids insurance?

I think people should be very carefully looking into this as you're changing a serious safety part of the car...

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
As repairers are not famirmilar with the cars, if you did it properly and got a plate welded on the back of it , it would look factory anyway. If you cop a hard wack in the front its all gonna look the same anyway and an insurance company would probably just write the car off as airbags would pop also.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Hmm..I'm still not convinced. I wouldn't feel safe doing it. It just seems like a dumb move to me. They're made the way they are for a reason. Anyway...

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
98 legnum type s, jzza70 supra
my supra (the one i'm fixing right now) doesn't have the middle part of the bumper impact bar (the piece in between the chassis rails) due to the previous owner cutting it out to make way for the intercooler and air dam.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
many cars and owners do it nation wide.

not trying to change your mind on the matter.

but regardless if you hit something in the front hard enough its stuffed anyway.

P.S Daniel, see your from rainbow beach, whats it like up that way, im on the sunny coast moved here from melb, me and the mrs are going to come up that way one day.
how far is it from the sunny coast?

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
98 legnum type s, jzza70 supra
i don't want to cut any of the bumper impact bar when fitting a new intercooler, it seems a tad dodge to me.

P.S brent, its a pretty place, the beach is a bit torn up from all the wild weather we had at the start of the year, but its still a nice place. its about 170km's from the sunny coast. just go to gympie and follow the signs to tin can bay and rainbow (its not hard to find you only have to take 3 right hand corners at the signs) the road is fun to drive, lots of corners, long straights, hills and stuff like that (great vr4 roads :))

G

Unregistered
its not actually part of the impact bar but just a support for the radiator support panel to keep it straight. I cut mine out and have had no problems. key is to either remove it neatly and completely so it was never there for insurance reasons or fix or replace it somehow...

G

Unregistered
its not actually part of the impact bar but just a support for the radiator support panel to keep it straight. I cut mine out and have had no problems. key is to either remove it neatly and completely so it was never there for insurance reasons or fix or replace it somehow...

Yeah, it is very very flimsy, to the point where you can bend it just by standing on it.

To be safe i boxed mine in again with 3mm steel which is a lot stronger than what was there.

And it is bolted on with 4 bolts after all, so i dont see how much impart it could stand:p

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I'm glad you liked it Trevor, I'm also more impressed you took the time to read it.
Dude there's no end to what I'd read to improve my knowledge on a subject. The trick is finding the time, which is where a printer comes in handy so I've always got something to read wherever I am. Which is why I love this forum, really - such a massive wealth of information.

legnum600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jason s
Drive
2000 legnum
Hi there i'm new to this: Have a look at www.trademe.co.nz new intercooler piping for legnum/galant vr4 for sale. currently looking at vr4s as i owned a 95 galant gt sports hatch vr4 in nz.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Dude there's no end to what I'd read to improve my knowledge on a subject. The trick is finding the time, which is where a printer comes in handy so I've always got something to read wherever I am. Which is why I love this forum, really - such a massive wealth of information.

That's a good way to do it Trev!

It's actually quite frustrating at times for me to read this forum as it's where the www.skylinesaustralia.com was probably 6-7 years ago. All the same questions, all the same mistakes, the same low knowledge base.

Shame I won't be modding this car like my others, it has great potential, although i suspect that the gearbox will be a weak link that will have to be explored. It will be relatively easy to get 300ish kW from the engine. I can tell you a number of ways to do it.....but in the end it comes to $$ and how much people will be willing to spend.

Back to intercoolers, like most things there are many way to skin a cat. My 500ish engine has a now cheapish, Hybrid cooler, 600x300x75. It is plenty big enough and enough cooling capacity for the power level. Almost everyone on this forum in Australia won't need anything larger.

G

Unregistered
So does anyone know where you could get a cooler like this one?? Or of anyone that could make one up (in SA if possible). looking to use the silicon hose kit to replace the OE ones and a direct replacement cooler like this one. that way i can do it all myself

1931_13lo.jpg

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I have noted that everyone talks about 600x300 cores, but what about something smaller? Reason I ask is there are a number of cores around such as the just jap core:
- Bar & Plate Core
- 450x300x76mm
- 2.5 inch Inlet & Outlet
- $169
OR
- Bar & Plate Core
- 550x180x65mm
- 2.25 inch Inlet & Outlet
- $149

Why does 600 width seem so essential?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
It's actually quite frustrating at times for me to read this forum as it's where the www.skylinesaustralia.com was probably 6-7 years ago. All the same questions, all the same mistakes, the same low knowledge base.

When you say same mistakes, what are you referring to? Not being nasty or anything, just curious.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Lee - it's just the standard for big intercoolers basically! They fit fine across the front of a VR-4, so why not?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
When you say same mistakes, what are you referring to? Not being nasty or anything, just curious.

No problem, none taken.

Its great that everyone wants to mod their cars and i fully support that, but the low knowledge base most people have is restricting them.

All you need to do is head across to www.skylinesaustralia.com and peruse this thread and most of the topics asked will be covered here http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Forced-Induction-Performa-f8.html&

Obviously it's specific to skylines, however the R33 and 34 have the same engine capacity and the same things that work on them will work on the Leggy. Yes twin turbo's will be harder to fit but things in general will be covered, like turbo sizing, intercooler cores, types, compression ratio's, boost levels etc etc

The RB25 is a direct comparison to our engine and you should look at what works on that- although it has 9.0 compression ratio, not 8.5 like ours.

If you want to keep twins, them they will always be pretty small to keep the driveability- case in point, the RB26 uses twins and they don't come on until around 3700rpm, can you imagine the legnum with nothing and i mean nothing below 3000rpm?

Here are a few home truths. The great driveability of the 6a13 is the engine response brought about by the small turbo's and the awesome response they provide- this also contributes to the poor fuel consumption...more on this later.
The more power you want the bigger turbo you need and generally the more boost you need to run. Without increasing the capacity of the engine you will loose driveability to run bigger turbos' for more power. This is a viscous circle

I am by no means an expert but have been playing with turbo engine for almost 8 years now and am trying to pass on some info so you guys don't need to go down the trial and error to find out what works.

I imagine that most of you would like some more power and i would guess that the limit of the stock items on the car will see it plateau around 200-210kW.

So for those that can't afford a lot, the items i would change would be;

1. exhaust, either 2.5 or 3inch dumps and 3 inch from the y piece hi flow cat.
2. intercooler, go and read www.are.com.au it will answer all your questions.
3. good air filter, i use a K&N panel in the stock box.
4. boost increase, 14ish psi, i suspect the standard turbo's would be out of their efficiency much above that.
5. AFC or if you can afford it new ECU- many on offer now.

For those guys looking at bigger throttle bodies and cams, do the above first, if that doesnt' do it for you, change to bigger turbos

That's long winded response but i think that should cover most people that aren't chasing big power.
Hope that helps, sorry i know this is an intercooler thread but its all linked:D

Top Bottom