Thinking of buying Legnums big brother

Kenny101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kenny
Drive
98 PFL Legnum
stagea's are based on the r33 version of the RB20/25, with the r34 i believe they would of made some slight alterations to the motor and it's overall characteristics, not mention the NEO RB is a whole different kettle of fish.

I've owned a *insert Nissan wagon name here* with a later Neo RB and fuel economy was pretty insane for what it was. Although mine was the RS-V model, meaning RWD only, meaning better fuel economy than the AWD version.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Sub-10L/100km economy wasn't hard to do in the Super either.

Though I admire anyone who can look past the fugly exterior & purchase a Stagea. Personally, apart from the Legnum, a Caldina would be the way to go.

niterida

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Ken
Drive
1997 Legnum
Or buy my Legnum cheap Ken ;)
I'd love to but it has 2 things going against it - its manual and 3 times the price of the Magna.

I have to sell my RS Liberty first but if I had the cash right now I would definitely be buying it....................

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Keep the RS and go mental on it...

niterida

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Ken
Drive
1997 Legnum
Keep the RS and go mental on it...

Nah its a piece of crap and needs too much work done on it and its a manual. Plus I don't want a project car - I have a Brumby for that.

Buy a VP commodore wagon.

Had a HSV VN wagon and a VN Berlina wagon before - both 5.0l V8 and both slow gas guzzlers (even on LPG).

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
If you want it, just get it.

Though, I do wonder sometimes how a supercharger would go with our engines...

Aussie_Wolf93

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Brodie
Drive
'93 Mazda B2600
I have a 2003 model TJ AWD Magna Sport
the AWD's only had a 5 speed, never a 4 speed
I use to be someone that laughed at magna's
but since driving them... not so much
they're built strongly (had family that worked with mitsubishi and comfirmed that too)
handle quite well for their size/weight, but their are mods to better that like everything else
decent power in the 3.5's too as some young gun thinking they're top sh!t in an xr6 turbo tried to race me at the lights
loved the ticked off look in my rear view :)

that said, there isn't many things you can do to better the power and mods are almost non existant (if you want to keep it decent and not douchey)
a manual conversion for the AWD's costs 3200 for the box and parts alone

niterida

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Ken
Drive
1997 Legnum
I have a 2003 model TJ AWD Magna Sport
the AWD's only had a 5 speed, never a 4 speed
I use to be someone that laughed at magna's
but since driving them... not so much
they're built strongly (had family that worked with mitsubishi and comfirmed that too)
handle quite well for their size/weight, but their are mods to better that like everything else
decent power in the 3.5's too as some young gun thinking they're top sh!t in an xr6 turbo tried to race me at the lights
loved the ticked off look in my rear view :)

that said, there isn't many things you can do to better the power and mods are almost non existant (if you want to keep it decent and not douchey)
a manual conversion for the AWD's costs 3200 for the box and parts alone

Thank you for the first hand opinion :)

I want an auto anyway so thats a plus.
Supercharger gives 226kw - figured a set of forged low-comp pistons (available off-the-shelf) and up the boost to as close to 1bar as the sprintex charger can go and it may get 300kw (at the flywheel).
I really like the sleeper aspect of a 6.0sec Magna

Aussie_Wolf93

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Brodie
Drive
'93 Mazda B2600
Thank you for the first hand opinion :)

I want an auto anyway so thats a plus.
Supercharger gives 226kw - figured a set of forged low-comp pistons (available off-the-shelf) and up the boost to as close to 1bar as the sprintex charger can go and it may get 300kw (at the flywheel).
I really like the sleeper aspect of a 6.0sec Magna

No probs mate

The auto's on these suffer similar to the VR-4's from what I hear
need to get an oil cooler, and they to rob some of your torque from you, hence you won't get the full potential from your supercharger as you would with an auto
though that could just be auto's in general for all I know

also, the most common power mods for these cars seems to be either a conversion from 6G74 3.5L to the 6G75 3.8L (has more torque output, especially down low apparently)
or a supercharger (Sprintex seems to be mentioned alot here)

niterida

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Ken
Drive
1997 Legnum
Yeah the car I am looking at is one of a few with factory fitted Sprintex supercharger (factory as in Sprintex factory, not Mitsubishi factory)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
What year. The later autos are better/stronger

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
As much as I think the engine will grenade if you try and squeeze 300 kws from a tiny hot positive displacement supercharger with no intercooler.

A fast magna wagon would be pretty sweet haha

Aussie_Wolf93

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Brodie
Drive
'93 Mazda B2600
Yeah the car I am looking at is one of a few with factory fitted Sprintex supercharger (factory as in Sprintex factory, not Mitsubishi factory)
If you have any trouble, or looking for research material for your project, I'd suggest looking over the posts at AMC (Australian Magna Club, aussiemagna.com)
there are quite a few nice magna's on there to draw insiration from, and so far I've hardly seen any that have been done in a stupid way that would beg the question WTF

niterida

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Ken
Drive
1997 Legnum
As much as I think the engine will grenade if you try and squeeze 300 kws from a tiny hot positive displacement supercharger with no intercooler.

A fast magna wagon would be pretty sweet haha
The car I am looking at is a sedan - KJ model VRX AWD
Motor has ironblock with supposedly super strong bottom end - very under rated - and (also apparently) easily capable of 500 turbocharged HP.
But yes you are correct about the heat - from further reading it turns out that Sprintex themselves were basically on the limit when they produced this batch of cars due to excessive intake temps.
Its not a project car so it would stay standard anyway unless it either wore out or blew up or I won lotto.

If I sell my RS and this car is still available then I will likely grab it :)

Top Bottom