This an ok place to put a crossover?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Picture-3.jpg

It fits fine obviously, I was just wondering if that part of the door might not be sealed... thus it being a bad idea.. ?

Sorry they are fusion chaps, they where cheap and sound a lot better than stock blown ones.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
I would put them under the door trim on the black plastic bit above the door light. :)

J

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I tend to put mine in the kick panels, just to be safe.....

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
hey I am sure others will say put them in car rather than door so they don't get wet. I have done both and sometimes it is hard to find a suitable place. I would think they will be fine in your door there but others will argue that I'm sure. It does save a lot of mucking around with trying to get extra wires into the door. Make sure they are well secured as you don't want a plastic box rattling against the door skin it will drive you nuts. Just my five cents worth.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I was going to put them above the door light... but I had run out of double sided tape :D

Seem's pretty secure where it is, weather could be a problem I guess... I wasn't sure whether there was a drain hole in the main cavity or wether the drain holes where just on the outer skin layer....

Doesn't look like anyone else is sure either!

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
If you are worried about water but put a bag over it.

I would be more worried about shutting the door with it in there. Especially if it was above the light where it is gonna cop a fair whack.

+1 for kick panels.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
I was going to put them above the door light... but I had run out of double sided tape :D

I would screw it on with little screws. :)

Im not sure how the fusion crossovers are, but most crossovers have screw mounting points on them. :) Much more secure then douplbe sided tape. :)

Or you could just delete the crossovers all together and go active.. :p

J

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Ahh kick panels as in under the dash. Brain fart.. haha!

Yeah, but this way the stock speaker wires go straight into the X over and then the new wires to the speakers. I have already extended the speaker wires from the center console to the amp under the passenger seat.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
put the crossovers in the boot with your amps. just means a little more wiring haha :p its not a bad spot though ;)

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
Picture-3.jpg

It fits fine obviously, I was just wondering if that part of the door might not be sealed... thus it being a bad idea.. ?

Sorry they are fusion chaps, they where cheap and sound a lot better than stock blown ones.

find a spot on the outside of the door behind the door panel and in front of the water seal.

where it is currently its gonna get wet!

bagging it wont help. humidity will kill it then.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Yes it rained and it was wet in there.

Do it again, DO IT AGAIN! >_<

The 2nd time is twice as fast!

Adrian

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Adrian
Drive
98 VR4 Legnum
Just wanted too put my 5 cents in as an audio engineer I always think about cables length, if you run to the boot then to the front speakers.

It will take longer for the signal to get to the speakers, so there will be a slight delay, to the untrained ear it may not be noticeable but it does take longer, meaning your rear speakers will produce the sound before the front, in a car this will be milliseconds so go ahead and do this you will barley notices it.

But personally i would go for under the dash I hate cars with poorly tuned sounds, well poorly tuned sounds in general.

I have left many a bar/club because of this.

Adrian

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Adrian
Drive
98 VR4 Legnum
Ok in saying all of that if you have a good head deck you will have time correction built in.

So you can correct the time delay.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
Just wanted too put my 5 cents in as an audio engineer I always think about cables length, if you run to the boot then to the front speakers.

can i ask you a question adrian for a short discussion.

i know you are an audio engineer so my respects first of all.

I have a question about your comment.
well, it is true that there are very small delay of the signal relative to the cable length with current. However, when the eletrons are pushed and pulled, the force transfered, it is almost instantanous and the cable length of, perhaps a meter different.. hmm. how much would if effect? if we are talking about few milliseconds, well, maybe speaker position would be more important (if i have to go that far) wouldn't it? IMO having a equal length cable in the car would not make a great difference and would not be able to tell even with the highest grade equipments in car stereo in our cars.

we have imprint from Alpine. thats great stuff..

if we are that specific to that level, maybe we all have to discuss about the electron density of the air - affeccted by humidity, temperature.. (remember PV = nRT??), pureness of the wires we use, consistancy of the current.. all the physics. wouldn't we?

thats my 5 cents for being a medical radiation scientist and post grad student of medical physics.

montgomery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
Mazda Familia GTR
I generally hude mine under the centre console.
Or , if there s enough room , up underneath the dash board.
Nice and neat.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I moved them to inside the door skins, in the front there is a space in front of where the window switch is both sides I cable tied it to the door throug hthe hole the power window motor is mounted on...

In the rear there is space under the inside door handle cup. Just tied it to where the screw goes into for the handle cup.

All done. I love it, I might just move them again in a couple of days for laughs.

Also bought a cheap clarion mono to run the sub in the boot. So sound is pretty much sorted now... all I need is the psu for the car pc to arrive :/

Top Bottom