Thrown a Rod???

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Hey Folks,

I had a slight puncture in one of my tyres so I went down to the local Bearepairs for a puncture repair and a rotate and balance. I got a call from a guy saying that my tyres weren't roadworthy. He said that they were worn and 1 was showing wire. When I looked I couldn't see anything but I didn't look from the hoist. The tread looks ok but he said he wouldn't repair it as it was too far gone. He said that my front right wheel must of thrown a rod. What does this mean as I'm not really mechanically minded....

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
He might mean that one of the suspension arms are busted, or that simply the alignment is well out of whack and has stuffed the tire

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
The car still drives well, you'd notice if a suspension arm is busted yeah?

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
You'd think so mat. Take it somewhere else and ask them to "have a look" and see what comes up. Heaps of places do those free 15 point safety checks.

G

Unregistered
The only "rod" in the suspension I can think of is the tie rod end and if that goes no more steering or the steering is very hard and slugish as the other wheel will be fighting it.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I'd be after a second opinion mate.

I had a similar thing happen to me mate... but I could feel the steel belt hanging through and the other 3 tyres where like slicks on the inside.

Even if the belt isn't showing... they must be pretty bald yeah? You like 4wd drifting in the wet hey?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Matt SOOO glad to read this is just tire related and not actual engine rod throwing! The title of your thread had me worried for a minute! :(

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Matt SOOO glad to read this is just tire related and not actual engine rod throwing! The title of your thread had me worried for a minute! :(

my first thoughts too... maybe change title? :D :D

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
have you tried jacking up your front wheels? then shaking each tire left to right.. see if it is moving freely...

Top Bottom